Skip navigation
salsabug71
Currently Being Moderated

Broken link

Nov 11, 2012 5:12 AM

I can't seem to open this PDF  http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf

Why?

Error message says I need latest version. I have it and have re started my computer.  Still not working.

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 12, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to salsabug71

Are you using Acrobat or Reader? What version exactly? I just tested it with Acrobat 9, 11, and Reader 11 and it worked without any problems.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 1:40 AM   in reply to salsabug71

I wonder if you could sent us a screen shot showing the error message and the window around it. Please let us know if you need instructions on how to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

This more than likely what he is getting:

2012-11-12_09-37-46.png

I get this if I use PDF Browser Plugin by Schubert. The adobe PDF Plugin doesn't work at all on Mac.

However If I set application helpers for PDF to Reader. then I can view the document.

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,236 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Nov 12, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Phillip,

The error you're sharing occurs when you try to view an XFA form with a plugin that doesn't support them.

As to your statement that the 'Adobe PDF Plugin doesn't work at all on Mac', that statement is patently false.

As to the issue at hand, with some more detail from the OP, we should be able to figure out what's going on.

-David

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

I've tried with all types of PDF's and all it does is open to Blank white screen. Nothing on it. In fact it bright white.

If I use PdfBrowser I can open anything although Forms don't work Adobe won't allow him to have forms capability.

and using PDFjs extension in FireFox  PDF's can be viewed but forms don't work.  They may work just fine on PC's but not on Mac and hasn't for several years.  In fact the adobe PDF Viewer plugin hasn't worked since the switch to OSX.  It worked greate in OS9

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to salsabug71

It cannot be obtained separately. It is a part of Adobe Reader.

Do you get this error if the PDF file is saved to your desktop, then opened with File > Open in Adobe Reader?

I do get this error if I use a browser which has built in PDF viewing, which avoids Adobe Reader - such as Google Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

I rarely use Chrome for anything other than testing my website.

I use either SeaMonkey (which is a combination of FireFox and Thunderbird), or FireFox.

I also use iCab, Safari, Opera, OmniWeb, Aurora, Camino. Same effect/affect.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 1:31 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

I've never heard of most of them, but there is every chance that they have a built-in, non-Adobe, PDF reader. 

Hence, my request for the test in the last paragraph of #7. What is the result?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

All of them except Safari depend upon the what's installed in the Internet-Plugins folder in the Main Library or user Libraray in the system.

So the same Plugin is used for all those browsers except Safari and Chrome which I don't use.

As for setting up each to call for Reader instead of using the plugin. Reader works after it downloads the PDF.

When switched to the Plugin it goes to the pdf, shows the path to the PDF in the window but all you see is the Bright white screen.

I'd love for the Viewer to work AS I use a lot of PDF's on my website with buttons. I'd at least like to see if those buttons work.  actaully with a browser. rather than calling up reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

So, are we agreeing that when you use these browsers you have to use non-Adobe technology, so you can't read these forms in a browser?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

I have to use the non adobe plugins because they allow me to view the PDF's within a Browser even though I can't use forms. Because the Adobe Plugins won't even allow me to see the PDF. That's not even considering the ability to fill out forms.  If you can't see them how do you fill them out.

one thing the PDF Browser Plugin by Shubert will allow you to do, is save the PDF. which you can then open in Acrobat or Reader and fill out. the PDFjs extension for FireFox/SeaMonkey wont even allow you to do that all you can do is just look at them and the appear nor like pictures

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points