Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.3 RC

Nov 11, 2012 8:31 AM

I would suggest that a new discussion of Performance Issues be started under the above heading. The existing thread  "Experienceing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.X" is historic for all entents and purposes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

What I still see in 4.3RC1 is confusing as ever.

OS X 10.8.2

MacBook Pro (15 inch retina)

2.6 GHz, quad-core i7

8 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

Nikon D800 NEF files (~32.5 MB, 7360 x 4912 pixels)

All 1:1 previews calculated before any "measurements".  Times (as shown in the Acvity Monitor application) are from the start of any CPU activity until activity ceases.  Zoom to 1:1 several times at each stage in order to populate any caches.

Library Loupe view

zoom to 1:      ~7 1/2 sec

Library Grid view

zoom to 1:      ~4 sec

Why is this operation faster from Grid view?

Develop

zoom to 1:1     ~1 sec

Why is this ooperation faster in the Develop module than in the Library module?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Bob_Peters

Bob_Peters wrote:

Library Loupe view

zoom to 1:      ~7 1/2 sec

That's really bad. (subsecond-speed is presumably what's normal - or at least that's what it is for me).

Have you considered a separate thread (problem report) for this on the feedback site?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to Bob_Peters

Are you sure you posted the correct link? (doesn't seem like it to me @2012-11-11 3:22 GMT).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Damn!  I posted the wrong link.

Now I can't find what I posted.  I'll do it again in the morning.

Will someone please supply the correct link to the site where I should have posted my problem report?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to Bob_Peters

Here is the correct link...at least it was correct a few seconds ago.  For some reason the author is listed as Robert Peters instead of Bob_Peters.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_3rc1 _slow_1_1_zoom_in_library?rfm=1

Message was edited by: Bob_Peters Now, having posted the information again, my original post appears.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Bob_Peters

It looks to me like it is always redoing the 1:1 jpeg preview in Library even if you already have it. If you already have the 1:1 rendered it should just use that but for whatever reason it doesn't. In Develop the zoom is fast because it only has to create the preview for the area you see in the viewport. I.e. it only renders a small subsection of the raw file which it should be able to do in subsecond time on this machine. Rendering an entire D800 raw file at 1:1 is of course a much more lengthy operation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Jao vdL

Thanks for the reply, Jao.

Do you see this behavior on your MacBook Pro?  Are your times consistent with what I see?

D800 NEF rendering:  When I clear the cache and discard 1:1 previews each new 1:1 preview takes about 4 sec.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Bob_Peters

I think I have seen a post from someone who works for Adobe (Victoria Brampton?) which seemed to indicate that the problem is the Retina display - the Macbook just can't move the pixels quickly enough.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to ISeward

ISeward wrote:

I think I have seen a post from someone who works for Adobe (Victoria Brampton?) which seemed to indicate that the problem is the Retina display - the Macbook just can't move the pixels quickly enough.

I suggest you check the source of your information.

The MacBook Pro easily moves those pixels around when zooming in Photoshop CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Bob_Peters

Bob,

I just tried it on my 15" MBP retina and there is no difference between zooming from the grid view or zooming from the Loupe view. This is with 1:1 previews generated. It takes about 1 to two seconds to zoom regardless how or where I do it. The only difference is that from the Loupe view it does the zoom animation, while from grid view when clicking 1:1 it goes through black. The raw files are 14-bit nefs from a D600, so even though not a D800, quite large too. The catalog and previews for these files is on the SSD drive. The nefs are on a USB 3.0 external disk. If I delete the 1:1 previews I get longer times for zooming because it needs to generate the 1:1 previews I am guessing, but only the first time I zoom.

The machine is a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory. Running 10.8.2. This is a quad core with 8 logical processors identified in System Info in Lightroom. I also noticed that Lightroom now shows that Camera Raw will only use 4 threads on this machine, probably to avoid hyperthreading.

Don't know why there is a difference with your machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to ISeward

It is a complete myth that the MBPr cannot move those pixels around. The display card is more than fast enough and it easily plays 1080p HD video, animates 3D stuff and much more. The number of pixels on the display is basically the same as on a 30" display. That is really nothing special for the display card at all. Before this, I was using Lightroom on a 30" display from a previous generation MacBook Air. That was only a C2D machine with intel graphics. It works just fine in Lightroom 3 and 4.

The machine can sometimes show tearing when you switch back and forth between battery power and power adaptor (bump the MagSafe adapator by accident). This switches beteen intel graphics and the NVIDIA card in the default setting (I turn the automatic switching off for this reason in the Energy Saver control panel). However in Lightroom there is no effect as it doesn't really use any hardware acceleration.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to Jao vdL

Jao vdL wrote:

Bob,

I just tried it on my 15" MBP retina and there is no difference between zooming from the grid view or zooming from the Loupe view. This is with 1:1 previews generated. It takes about 1 to two seconds to zoom regardless how or where I do it. The only difference is that from the Loupe view it does the zoom animation, while from grid view when clicking 1:1 it goes through black. The raw files are 14-bit nefs from a D600, so even though not a D800, quite large too. The catalog and previews for these files is on the SSD drive. The nefs are on a USB 3.0 external disk. If I delete the 1:1 previews I get longer times for zooming because it needs to generate the 1:1 previews I am guessing, but only the first time I zoom.

The machine is a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory. Running 10.8.2. This is a quad core with 8 logical processors identified in System Info in Lightroom. I also noticed that Lightroom now shows that Camera Raw will only use 4 threads on this machine, probably to avoid hyperthreading.

Don't know why there is a difference with your machine.

Many, many, thanks for taking the time to look into this, Jao.

I have been systemattically removing a lot of applications and utilities but, so far at least, nothing changes my situation.

I am at a complete loss to explain what the hell is going on my computer.

I'm open to any suggestions regarding how to figure out what is going on.

That's all for this evening

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 10:12 PM   in reply to Bob_Peters

I assume you already tried deleting the .lrdata folder (please forgive if this has already been stated).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

I assume you already tried deleting the .lrdata folder (please forgive if this has already been stated).

The last thing I tried last night was:

(1)  write xmp to disk

(2)  remove all images from the test catalog

(3)  delete the .lrdata file

(4)  delete the .lrcat file

(4)  create a new catalog containing 7, D800 NEF files

(5)  generate all previews (1:1 previews are 2048 pixels)

The problem is exactly the same as before.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points