Like many other users on these boards, I am unable to complete a full backup of a particular catalog on my machine using PSE 11 (or PSE 10 for that matter). I have four catalogs on this machine and three of the four complete the full backup process without any problems. That last, non-cooperating, catalog is much larger (7,389 photographs) than the others, but I do not think that this would pose a problem.
Following other advice and guidance, I have removed all videos, audios, projects, PDFs, and audio captions (in other words, all media types other than photographs) from the catalog. The only files remaining are photographs (that is, JPG files). I attempt to complete a full backup and, when calculating the total media size, the PSE 11 application freezes at five to six percent. I have attempted this in PSE 10 as well, but with the same results. (I was hoping that the new release would fix the problem. No luck.)
The only other item of note is this, when I search for the various media types, I see the message "no media to be displayed" in the middle of the organizer window. However, when I search for video, I do not see the message--the organizer window is blank (no text message as seen for the other media types).
Lastly, I have reconnected all missing files. (None.) Optimized the catalog. Fixed errors in the catalog anyway. (None.)
Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can complete a full backup of this catalog? A large cash reward awaits... (kidding). Please advise. Thank you!
Second on this post...thanks for writing all that down and posting stonegateuser, I didn't have it in me. I've followed all the advice/guidance on the forums, etc and PSE 11 still hangs when it hits 10%. Frankly, I've given up trying to tweak it and just use generic backup software. I'm guessing this won't be fixed until PSE12/13...
I'm guessing this won't be fixed until PSE12/13...
I believe that each new version will bring fixes for various causes of failure of the backup, but I very much doubt that even version 13 will totally fix the freeze of the backup.
Apart from the commonly suggested options you have cited, there are probably many other ones leading to the same symptoms:
- incorrect file names (for instance, 2 dots in the file name)
- permissions on folders
- disk space requirements
- different ways in Editor or Organizer to deal with incorrect file names, or unsupported file types (Adobe incoherence ?)
- some have reported cases when there has been errors in the database itself (most should have been 'repaired' using that function).
There are freezes in the phase when the total media size is calculated. There are others at a given % of the backup for a given user and a given catalog. The later suggest offending files. In that case, the methodic search of the offending files generally finds the culprits. In that case, we can expect Adobe to fix the problem, but it is very important that all the causes are known and there is enough feedback about them.
What is very important for any user is to be able to backup anyway:
- the catalog
- the media files
Most users are aware that they can use other softwares to backup their media files. Some are integrated in the OS, others are simple like zip files or use free of affordable backup software, some use cloning, syncing...
What surprises me is that a simple copy or automatic backup of the catalog folder is not cited more often.
Of course, if you use another software to backup media and catalog, you should be safe in case of a crash. But the advantage of the integrated backup system in the Organizer is that it is the best way to migrate to other OS, drives, PSE versions. My obvious advice when your backup freeze is to find an alternative solution (generally available and free). Then, when you are safe, you can spend more time on finding what is wrong with your catalog.
To try to understand where the process of backup can go wrong, let's see the different phases:
1 - media size calculation
2 - scanning all the files recorded in the database
. for each one, create a backup copy with a file name of the type 'B0000001.ext', where 'ext' is the extension of the original file,
. and update the catalog.tly file containing the link between the media internal identifier and the newly created copy
3 - copy of the catalog itself
So my question to Adobe is : what is so mysterious in part #2 ? Why is it not possible to issue a message showing the offending file ? and why not skip that file and issue a log file at the end ?
Since my last post, I have done some research to understand in which order the files are backed up, their copies being renamed B0000001.xxx etc.
An sqlite utility lets us see the media_table in the catalog.psexxdb and order it in various sort orders.
The catalog.tly containing the link between the original full path + filename and the backup copy of a file can be scanned in a text editor like wordpad.
I have found that the backup order in PSE6 is based on the file name (filename_search_index), while that of PSE11 is based on the 'date taken' (search_date_begin).
That could mean that a freeze at 97% in PSE11 is caused by a recent picture...
Add me to the list of backup freeze ups. My PSE 10 can't get past 28% and I have tried all of the suggested seaches for offending files without success. I have given up and have started using Microsofts' Movie Maker and Photo Gallery. Adios Adobe!