Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to stop the "renew cloud subscription"

Nov 11, 2012 7:03 PM

I cancelled my Cloud membership a couple of months ago, when I purchased the Master suite. I haven't uninstalled the Cloud downloads yet, which I'm sure is the problem. Do I need to uninstall all of the softwares now and reinstall the purchased one's again, or can I just uninstall the Cloud software and be cool?

I've also gotten an error message when opening up Illustrator, saying that I need to rt click the .exe file so that it can be repaired, not sure what the heck that means but it's happened everytime I've opened that software since I bought it and it's a little disturbing, do you thing that doing the above will correct that issue?

Thanks for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to studysmart50

Are you receiving email to "renew cloud subscription"? There should be an unsubscribe link in the email. If you mean something else please clarify.

Moved post to the Illustrator forum. They will be able to help you here with your Illustrator issue. Please post the exact error message or a screen shot.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to studysmart50

Application offered in Cloud Subscription and Master collection are same in terms of functionality and usage so if you have cancelled the cloud subscription, there is no need to uninstall and re-install the applications.

Error message that you are getting when opening the Illustrator is not clear in your message so would appreciate if you could provide the details more clearly, you have also not mentioned your OS and other details.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish-Sharma wrote:

Application offered in Cloud Subscription and Master collection are same in terms of functionality and usage so if you have cancelled the cloud subscription, there is no need to uninstall and re-install the applications.

Really? So one can subscribe to the cloud, download all the apps, use them. Cancel the subscription and continue using the apps???? That is a deal!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to [scott w]

@[scott w] - What Manish means is that if you have a Master Collection perpetual license for CS6 and cancel your Creative Cloud subscription of CS6 applications there is no need to uninstall and reinstall the applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Okay.. so "functionlity and usage" is NOT the same. Without a perpetual license the cloud apps would cease operation after the subscription is cancelled, correct?

Here's a scenario....

I own a perpetual license for the Master Collection and have the box sitting on my desk unopened. I subscribe to the "cloud" and subsequently download all the apps and install them. I understand how to use the apps from the box or the download is identical. Now, I cancel my subscription to the cloud. I launch an app.. what happens???? Do I need to input the perpetual license serial number at that time? Am I even prompted to input a license number or merely resubscribe?

I'm not a "cloud" subscriber. I own a perpetual license. I have not subscribed because, honestly, Adobe has done a poor job of educating customers on the intricacies of the "cloud" and how it effects purchases long-term. The apps themselves or the Adobe Application Manager MUST have some trigger to verify the subscription. Is it within the apps? Do the apps check the the App manager at each launch?

I'm simply curious.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to [scott w]

@[scott w] - The applications are the same (they are not cloud apps), just how they are activated is different: using a serial number for a perpetual license or using an Adobe ID for a subscription. Yes, once you stop subscribing the applications will stop working as if the 30-day trial came to an end. You can still do a 30-day trial on any application not already installed. More information is in the Creative Cloud FAQ on this here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to [scott w]

[scott w] wrote:

Okay.. so "functionlity and usage" is NOT the same.

I said "functionality and usage" in term of application usage, Selection tool remain the selection tool it doesn't become Hand tool in CCM

Without a perpetual license the cloud apps would cease operation after the subscription is cancelled, correct?

Yes

The biggest difference in software included in Creative Cloud membership and the software you buy in the box. It gives you everything in the traditional licensed version plus exclusive access to new features. This means that as soon as our engineering teams can finalize new features — such as the features we recently released for Illustrator, and many other new features to come — we will release them through special software editions available only to paying Creative Cloud members. So no more waiting between major releases to get new features. Ex:- 16.1 update for Illustrator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

This means that as soon as our engineering teams can finalize new features — such as the features we recently released for Illustrator, and many other new features to come — we will release them through special software editions available only to paying Creative Cloud members.

...which is a pretty poor way to treat perpetual license customers (especially those who have been customers for decades).

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to JETalmage

@JETalmage - Perpetual license customers will get the features in the next version, in this case CS7. So Creative Cloud subscribers are getting an early release of certain features.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to studysmart50

Ken G. Rice wrote:

Perpetual license customers will get the features in the next version, in this case CS7. So Creative Cloud subscribers are getting an early release of certain features.

Yeah but I wouldn't be surprised if some new features for cloud users are held back and happen soon after the release and are chalked up to Adobe had to make a cut off for distribution (how it normally goes), so the cloud members feel like they are getting more and the perpetual users are again left to ponder the cloud. Nice carrot on a stick system the cloud presents.

studysmart50 wrote:

I just wanted to say that I'm very impressed in the amount of great feedback received via this forum. I will most definitely use this resource for future Q & A.

;-) I really wouldn't be too impressed or that surprised, here is why....

Your thread title - How to stop the "renew cloud subscription" - along with your message stating you cancelled your "Adobe Creative Cloud" membership, well these two things brought out the Adobe Staff as they want everyone they can to get on the Cloud, and no doubt made them cringe at the thought of people canceling the program even though your allowed to as its your choice depending on your terms. Then you have the users who understand the facade of the cloud marketing machine and many prefer to own a perpetual license, we chime in because we are not in agreement with the whole rent your software idea and to pay money to be Adobe's Official Beta Testers via the cloud, which is marketed as cutting edge new features for cloud members.

Had your thread been something about a feature not working properly since illustrator CS2, or missing since AI8, it would more than likely went unnoticed by Adobe, even if submitted officially via the aptly named "wishform" (Appropriate name as thats what most of it ends up being, hopes and wishes that go unfulfilled or are fulfilled 14 years later like the Package Files feature). New features (regardless of however half backed they are) and marketing thats what make money, while missing features, and unfulfilled proper implementation of features, well they are just what they are for the most part, a dying request and or thread.

Cloud threads are of top echelon importance! I am however ready for some cloud dissipation actually and more sunshine being shed on long time perpetual license owners, not just the thought of a cloudy future, but rather some better attention to regular owners. Sadly as the weather people go, these requests and interests are much like weather forecasts, entirely inaccurate, or even worse being held in secrecy hoping we move on to cloudy days. Bring back the sunshine Adobe.

;-)

Welcome to the forum by the way, as you stated it is a great resource for learning and growing your skills with so many skilled individuals around here thats for sure. Get involved and dive into the forum. Sunny or Cloudy at least the forum is by-partial for the most part. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Ken G. Rice wrote:

@JETalmage - Perpetual license customers will get the features in the next version, in this case CS7. So Creative Cloud subscribers are getting an early release of certain features.

As JET stated: "...a pretty poor way to treat perpetual license customers..." Why? Rather than getting the fixes free during the life of the (current) version we own, we have to pay for the next version to get them. Kinda makes me feel like a second class citizen, being one of those "customers for decades". This policy has the stink of greed all over it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Frank Heller

@Frank Heller - Perpetual license customers do receive all fixes and security updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Ken G. Rice wrote:

@Frank Heller - Perpetual license customers do receive all fixes and security updates.

So if I had written: "Rather than getting the fixes and features free, during the life of the (current) version we own, we have to pay for the next version to get them." ....you'd have a different answer for that?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

- Perpetual license customers do receive all fixes and security updates.

Pretty beneficent of Adobe to do one or two fixes during the product life. The issue, Ken, are features are not evidently included in updates to perpetual licenses, like myself. But they could be if it wasn't for the fact Adobe is pushing the cloud as a vehicle to obtain features.

But I would settle for more (long-standing) bug fixes.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to MW Design

Here's what I wonder.....

CS6 subscribers are getting new features now.....  What do/will subscription users get when CS7 is released?

If perpetual users are merely brought up to date with subscription users at CS7.... are subscription users going to get anything more than a version number when CS7 is released?

Yes..... then perpetual users ae indeed being hosed.

No.... then scubscription users aren't gaining anything but the ability to test/use CS7 features early.

Don't get me wrong. I thank the subscitption users for testing everything before I pay for it

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 4:29 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Scott, in either case, if the same schema continues, peretual licenees will at best be caught up until the cycle of new features the subscribers receive begins anew.

But I do like your last sentance...it then becomes a two-level Prelease Program of sorts.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to [scott w]

[scott w] wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I thank the subscitption users for testing everything before I pay for it

Really? I don't. That is, if CS6 is any indication of what the CS5 Cloud Subscribers were getting as pre-release features before CS6's perpetual release.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 3:43 AM   in reply to studysmart50

Hi,

Please right-click the Illustrator.exe and choose "Run as Admin". It is required to correct certain registry entries. It's a one time process and the dialog wouldn't be visible the next time you launch Illustrator even by double-clicking.

Please let me know if you have any concerns/doubts.

Thanks and Regards,

Nishant Kumar Thakur

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Frank Heller

@Frank.... there was no CS5 subscription. So.. no one really knows what Adobe is planning upon the release of CS7 since that will be the first upgraded where all the apps can be subscription based.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Ken G. Rice wrote:

Maybe for Illustrator. But to my knowledge there are apps that are only available to cloud members and not part of the master suite. Like Lightroom, Edge, Muse and it looks like the Ipad apps as well. What should happen if it isn't already is anyone who purchases the master suite should have either free or deep discounted price for the remainder. But in all reality these apps should have been on the CD's as well. Thats why its called master. Either that or cut the cost of the master suite and we all know that won't happen.

Adobe is forcing everyone to go to the cloud and all that does is over burden their servers, sooner or later that cost will eat away at the savings from physical shipments. Their arguement that customers will get updates quicker is moot, we already can get updates from their servers for free. The only thing they want to do is charge for point updates instead of full updates. Thats going backwards. Becides it is not difficult to buy a download from the adobe store, so again that arguement is  moot. The only thing Adobe needed to do was offer a low cost cloud storage that competed with the others via price wise and we would not even be having this debate.

The only thing this has done for me personal was made me more confused and now I am in a holding pattern waiting until I can make up my mind on which way to go. Other wise Adobe probably would have my upgrade money for the master suite. I am sure there are plenty of others in the same boat, so Adobe is actually loosing money because of this instead of raking in that last dollar deep between the lint balls of the pocket.

The main reason why I don't try the cloud is someone mentioned that it is difficult to go back to the phyical disks later on should you change your mind a year down the road.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

Silkrooster wrote:

like the Ipad apps as well.

the iPad Apps are not part of the cloud.

You have to buy them separately and you don't  need to own any desktop apps to get them.

You just need to visit the iTunes Store to check that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Before commenting on the OP it needs to be said that Adobe seem to forget the 'perpetual customers' put them where they are now.  Giving them no real option but to pay up and move to the Cloud model is no way to treat dedicated customers.

To be realistic - there is now no choice

Cloud version: Keep paying into the system, every year, for ever and ever, or your tools will not work (pressure the customer).

Perpetual licence: Pay once, use until new features are worth purchasing - presures the developer and supports the customer ......

.....Except!......

.....Upgrades are now impossible unless you keep bying the latest version, so that now (post cloud) works out more expensive than the Cloud version, where it used to be (pre cloud) a sensible budget option for many users.....

.....There is no access to the special features introduced between upgrades for Cloud members.....

.....The supposed 'Master Collection' is missing many apps that are only available to Cloud members.....

.....There is a compete block on availability of some apps that are only available to Cloud members.....

Hanging your long time customers by the 'short and curlies' to ensure they pay every month/year, is no way to treat people who have used, supported and help develop Adobe products for two decades.

Back to the OP - I'm in a similar position, but tried simply to start using a different machine - the licensing system really doesnt seem to know what its got on any one machine (apart from the obvious usage count). Even tried using the Adobe online advisor that pops up from time to time on their website - after repeatedly being unable to answer the issue put to him it was obvious he didn't have a clue, disappeared for over 10 minutes without telling me what was going on...and in the end I had to put the phone down and deal with my own customers. The picture from this end is one of lack of support and being seen as a 'cash cow' rather than a valued Adobe customer.

Finally got the error messages to stop, but not very pleasant when you are trying to get a job out of the door.

Adobe - let's get the 'customer' options back on a fair footing and give the Cloud and perpetual licence holders the same options and pricing and put the customer first, rather than last.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points