Skip navigation
actech12
Currently Being Moderated

Invalid serial number!!

Nov 12, 2012 12:10 PM

Hi,

can anyone help with this?  I have CS5 Extended which I have had installed on my old pc for about 7 months until the pc crashed and burned.  I admit to buying my copy off e-bay, I make no apologies for that as there is nothing wrong with looking for a bargain.  I made every attempt to verify that it was a genuine unused copy, to the point of having e-mails from the seller should I need to look for redress on this.  The first installation went fine but it would not let me register with Adobe, so I e-mailed the seller again.  The program continued to work so I assumed it was a glitch with the installer ( a lot of people I have spoken have had issues with Adobe installers, especially on Windows based systems).  Forward 7 - 8 months and my pc has crashed and burned, probably from expecting too much from my 9-year old creation.  I now have a new monster with Windows 7 pro instead of XP 32-bit,  SSD's etc., but this is causing no end of problems migrating all my programs, some of which are beyond salvation.  However, like most of you out there, I find Adobe photoshop extremely expensive and cannot write this off.  I look at the packaging, the disc and part numbers (?) for each individual piece of packaging including the 'Genuine Adobe' holographic label, the serial number and I do not believe (nor anyone else that sees it) that my copy is not genuine.  Now upon installation, during the initial instal it accepts my serial number no problem, but when I first use it and am asked to register it, I get the message 'invalid serial number for this product'.  From several threads I have found this seems quite common but have found no answer.  Does anyone have a solution to this before the 'trial' period expires?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to actech12

If you have a legitimate license to use the software, Adobe Customer Service should be able to help you to activate it. 

I hope you were lucky enough to purchase a genuine unused package.  Unfortunately, professional software pirates flood the market with thousands and thousands of genuine looking packages, which only trained people can recognize as forgeries.  That's why there are loads of sellers on eBay and similar sites who probably don't even know they are selling forgeries.  They themselves fell victim to someone selling pirated versions in large quantities at dumping prices.  Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to actech12

Adobe has been known to blacklist serial numbers if they found they were fraudulent. One way is that the counterfeiter might have handed out the same number to more than one customer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to actech12

actech12 wrote:

Thanks for replying, Acres, but can you explain how it worked fine for 7 months on the old pc if it is not genuine?

I think the scenario described by gener7 is a likely one.   I have seen reports by users who say they used the software successfully for years, but when they needed to re-activate the software after a clean install, Adobe told them they have a pirated version.

Let's hope that's not the case for you!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

Adobe blacklisted the serial number in between when you installed it on the first PC and now when you’re installing it on a new PC, so while it worked the first time, it doesn’t, now.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to actech12

If you didn’t purchase your copy from Adobe or an Adobe Authorized Dealer, and for the proper price, then you have a pirated copy, even if it takes Adobe a few months to figure it out.

It’ll be interesting to hear what Adobe says.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to actech12

If you DO have a legit copy of PS (most eBay copies are anything but), then I would call Adobe Customer Support in the UK, and discuss the matter. While the Live Chat can be useful, sometimes, it is not quite the same, as talking directly to a knowledgeable Adobe Customer Support representative.

If one received a pirated copy of PS, as a gift, it leaves them out, and in the cold.

Not saying that your particular reseller had pirated copies, but if they had more than one, the likelihood goes way, way up. Also, if the term "OEM" was mentioned anywhere, the odds against it being legit are astronomical.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to actech12

actech12 wrote:

I make no apologies for that as there is nothing wrong with looking for a bargain.

How much of a bargain?  7 months ago Photoshop CS5 was the then current version, so anything less than right around list price should have been a red flag.  There were plenty of posts on this forum warning people to beware of Photoshop deals on eBay back then.

And I think it's becoming pretty clear now that there IS something wrong with looking for a bargain when it's a Photoshop license were talking about, isn't it?

"Caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware).

No one here would gain anything from your apology, and in fact we all feel a bit sorry for you as you have likely been taken advantage-of, but now to continue using Photoshop it's YOU who will have to pay list price in addition to the money you spent 7 months ago.  Call it the cost of becoming wiser, and you'll be getting a newer version with gee-whiz new features anyway, so maybe it won't sting quite so bad.

It's expensive software and there are simply no legitimate deep discounts.

-Noel

P.S., I hate to mention this but if 7 months ago you had bought a legitimate Photoshop license for Photoshop CS5 directly from Adobe you'd have gotten a free upgrade to Photoshop CS6.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points