Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do i turn a single bmp image in to seperate objects so i can make seperate symbols?

Nov 12, 2012 1:28 PM

Tags: #flash_professional #animation #symbols #flash_cs6

ss3ss.GIF

Hi, I am new to adobe flash pro cs6. I have been sent this image and i have been asked if i can make the tails of the mice move and their heads etc. My problem is that i dont know how to seperate or select individual parts of  the image so that i can use the bone tool on them. From what i read i need to seperate each part in to a symbol and then add to a sperate layer so i can animate them. Is there a way of using flash pro to select and seperate each part so i can make symbols? Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to hagridj

If the image is a flattened drawing, meaning not a layered drawing where each part is on a separate layer, then you are not likely to be able to isolate each element as you wish.  You could try breaking the image down to a vector image, but that is still not going to give you what you want.  You will need to recreate each character in Flash to get what you are after.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to hagridj

You don't say what sort of image it is. If this is a layered Photoshop or Illustrator file with each item, the various mice, the couch, etc., in unique layers in the file, then you can import each layer separately into Flash. If this is a flat, one layer, jpeg, gif, png, or some other bitmap format, then you could open the file in Photoshop, if you have it, and cut out each element, to make separate layers or separate images. If the original file is a flat Illustrator or pdf or eps file, then you could open the file in Illustrator, if you have it, and cut out each element as above.

If you only have Flash, then you can Break Apart the image and VERY CAREFULLY and erase the parts that you don't want for any given object. Then import another copy and repeat as needed. This is EXTREMELY tedious and difficult to do well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to hagridj

If you only have a flat image, then no matter where you turn to work with it will be more tedious than if your image was a layered drawing such as an original Photoshop image.

If you create the objects in a Photoshop image where the pieces reside on separate layers, then you can import that file into Flash with the layers intact and convert the pieces to objects that you animate.

How you create the pieces you wish to animate is your call, it will probably be as much work to do it in Photishop as it would be in Flash, though I cannot say for sure since I don't use Photoshop too often... not my first choice for drawing software.  I would probably just follow the tedious process Rob mentioned at the end and create the tail by taking a copy of the image, breaking it apart (using the Break Apart command) and then erase everything but the tail.

As far as integrating the moving pieces with the original image goes, I would edit the image to have the tail removed, otherwise you end up with two tails... one moving and one beneath it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to hagridj

I have never experimented with the bone tool so I cannot offer any help there.  If you only want to animate the tail by moving it slightly then the approach I would have taken would be to just convert the tail image to a symbol (graphic or movieclip) with its 0,0 coordinate at the point of the tail where I intend to have it fixed (the point of rotation) and put it into a new movieclip where I create a motion tween with it for some number of frames.  I would use the Classic Tween since I am more familiar with it - but that's just me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points