Skip navigation
Bring It On 2
Currently Being Moderated

Copy "New Photos" doesn't work in import dialog

Nov 12, 2012 6:36 PM

Tags: #import #4.2 #new_photos

Hello,

I am a new lightroom user on Lightroom 4.2.  When I import pictures from my SD Card I usually leave copies on the card for a while so I have them as backup, and to also be able to see recent pics on my camera.  However each time I go to import pictures from that card within LR, it defaults to selecting all pics on my SD card even though I have the "New Photos" filter selected at the top of the import box.   It always puts all my photos in the "New Photos" section, so I have to deselect all the photos that I have already imported into my catalogue so I don't get duplicates.  How do I get LR to only import pics that haven't been imported bfore?  

I am aware of the "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" option, but that is not the samea as what I am looking for.   It only deselects photos that still exist in my catalogue.   Any photos that I have deleted from my catalogue remain selected in the import box as it doesn't see any duplicates.  

Any suggestions to what I'm missing to have LR only select photos that haven't been previously imported from that card?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to Bring It On 2

No clue.

But a work-around:

TreeSyncPublisher has a feature called "Card Publishing". It's intention is for travelers using cards as secondary or tertiary backup, but it could be used under any circumstances. Here's how it works:

After import, you publish selected (or all) photos back to the card, as backup, and they are then deleted from the area of the card looked at by Lightroom in the import dialog box.

The idea is to balance percent of card storage used for new photos vs. backed up photos as you go... At the beginning of the trip, all is for new photos, none are backed up. Towards the end of the trip, mostly full with backups, only enough for a day's shoot free for new photos... Need more room to shoot? remove some photos from the card-publishing collections.

Note: one can define multiple card publishing services, e.g.

* original (raw) photos - published collection can contain all photos at start of trip; only picks and rated photos toward the end, or none.

* cooked photos - can contain everything in the beginning, for universal show-n-tell; and be pared down as the trip wears on, if need be...

Note: Like Lightroom, your camera won't see these as "photos" either, but they may be viewable via HDMI port, or computer, depending on format and viewing software...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to Bring It On 2

Gotcha.

I really don't know the difference between "New Photo" and "not a suspected duplicate". It's a very good question, and I'm hoping somebody who knows more will enlighten both of us.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to Bring It On 2

I'm not entirely sure from your problem description, but are the 'old' photos that appear in the 'New Photos' display ones that you previously imported and subsequently removed from the catalog? If so, what you are seeing is entirely normal and logical.....once an image is removed from the catalog Lightroom retains NO record or memory of it....so if you re-present that file in the Import dialog it will quite correctly be regarded as a "New Photo".

If, OTOH, you are seeing images in the "New Photos" import section that are already in the catalog, and "Don't Import Susepected Duplicates" is checked, then that sounds more like a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to Bring It On 2

I think "Copy New Photos" is working correctly.

A deleted photo from LR is  ....deleted

So LR thinks it's new again on your card. That's why you leave them on the card, do you ? How would you LR to import a file you inadvertently deleted ?

In fact I do exactly as you do, but I only mark my photos to delete (and label them Red -to be able to filter them out, as you can not filter on unflagged only) and then delete them definitively from LR as I reformat my SD card.

Frans

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Bring It On 2

Not sure how else to explain this:

"All Photos" will show all the images on the card or in the selected folder(s), regardless of their "new" or "existing" status. With "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" checked, the "existing" images will be non-selectable, all others will be selected by default. With that option unchecked, all images are selectable.

When "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" is checked "New Photos" will show only those images which Lightroom has no current knowledge of. And as we've already said, Lightroom retains no knowledge of a previously imported and subsequently removed photo....therefore any such files will be regarded as "new". When "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" is unchecked, every image on the card/folder will be regarded as "new" and in this context there will be zero difference between "All Photos" and "New Photos".

I understand that your expectation is that Lightroom will remember that you previously imported and removed an image, and so not show it again as "new"....but that's not how it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

What jim01403 states in the above post is my experience when importing from CF and SD cards with a card reader.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points