Skip navigation
TeachJoy
Currently Being Moderated

Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text

Nov 12, 2012 10:57 PM

Tags: #illustrator #indesign #place #objects #strokes

Hi,

My students have decided to make their book assignment in the style of a comic book.  They are using InDesign to put it all together, but they want most of the boxes to have a Charcoal Brush style frame.  They also want to draw speech bubbles with the same stroke style - something not possible in InDesign. 

When they created the shapes with the strokes in Illustrator, they copied and pasted the image into InDesign.  The problem, however, is that InDesign won't let them place pictures or text inside those Illustrator objects.  The picture or text has to be in a separate frame layered on top.  This will creat all kinds of complications and slow down the workflow. 

How do we create objects with the stroke we want that will function as frames in InDesign?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to TeachJoy

InDesign supports three border styles: striped, dashed and dotted. There's no way to make a stroke style like you do in Illustrator.

There might be another sollution, give this a try:

1. Create a speech bubble in Illustrator and make sure the fill is empty
    2. Select the speech bubble and choose Object > Expand Appearance (this outlines the stroke, while keeping the appearance the way it is)
    3. Copy the selected speech bubble
    4. Paste it in InDesign
    5. See if this works for you

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to TeachJoy

I get your point, but why are forcing text inside this frame?

I'd choose an empty textframe on top of the speech bubble, then group those two together.

I'm afraid your trying too hard for something that's just not going to work inside InDesign. Keep it simple, that's my suggestion

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to TeachJoy

You might try going to www.indiscripts.com and check out Marc's script Speeech.js. It was created for the purpose of making speech bubbles.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Thanks, Larry, for this link! The script is fun, and works as advertised! I'll use it every now and then (maybe if just to add bubbles to my layouts ). Two thumbs up from me!

Cheers!

-Mikey

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to TeachJoy

TeachJoy wrote:

I have a hard time believing that it's not possible given how amazing and powerful both programs are. 

Some of the features between InDesign and Illustrator overlap, but they are each made for a specific purpose, and that's why each has features that the other does not. It would be nice if one program could do both, and I'm sure Adobe has considered that, but in all of the upgrades they have made over the years, they have not combined the two. If you want them to, you could suggest it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to TeachJoy

Hey Teach!

That is awesome, and glad you figured it out! I was trying to solve your problem as well, using a stroked object in Illustrator, but the one part I was lacking was the fill to WHITE! And now it's obvious. Again, thanks for figuring that out.

Cheers!

-Mikey

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points