Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11

Nov 13, 2012 9:22 AM

I just purchased Premiere 11, and it won't import an .avi xvid file. The codec is installed as reported by G-Spot. And the file imports to Win Movie Maker just fine. Any known problems here?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to dudsmith1

Unfortunately, PrE cannot edit with all CODEC's, and especially the delivery-only CODEC's, like Xvid and DivX.

Some users have had luck with Importing and editing the very latest versions of those CODEC's, in the latest versions of PrE, but that is uncommon. Usually, the file will not Import, but if it does, then there is usually Audio with no Video, or the Video is so bad, as to not be useful.

For more info on CODEC's in general, see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

For Xvid, or DivX, I convert to DV-AVI, and then Import that converted file for editing. In my case, I use an older shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. There are now newer versions of DMC.

Some users report that both CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro do a better job with the Xvid and DivX CODEC's, but neither is perfect.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to dudsmith1

you can also refer to video converter here. I use it in a long while to convert avi files and some other movie files, the new update has be optimised to take advantage of more modern technology like multi-core CPU control functions, multi-threading and batch processing, etc.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards

Chew.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to dudsmith1

You could also go to the codec owner at http://www.xvid.com/ to see what is recommended

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt said,

Some users report that both CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro do a better job with the Xvid and DivX CODEC's, but neither is perfect.

Having used PowerDirector for many years (don't use it any more, too many issues) I can confirm that only the 32 bit version can edit with the DivX codecs, neither DivX or CyberLink have been able to offer a 64 bit version.

Format Factory is a good free video converter, just be careful installing and make sure you do NOT install the Ask Toolbar when asked, you will regret it if you allow it to be installed

Robert

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Robert/OZ

Yes. I have an older version of PowerDirector, and have used it for DivX & Xvid, but found it a bit "clunky" for me, so just converted that material to DV-AVI Type II's, for use in Premiere. Also, my older Magix MovieEdit Pro could handle those two CODEC's, though not quite so well as PowerDirector did, plus there is poor support for the Magix programs, IMHO.

I have heard that Sony's Vegas does an OK job with DivX & Xvid, but have never owned any version of their NLE's, so cannot comment directly.

For my conversions, I have been happy with an older shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. I have not upgraded to their new versions, as upon retirement, I do not have much need for conversions nowadays - I just edit what I shoot. Once, clients would hand me the darnest formats/CODEC's, and DMC 2.7 did all that I needed, and would batch convert several different CODEC's to DV-AVI, quite quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points