Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I resize (shrink) a jpeg in Fireworks CS6

Nov 13, 2012 2:37 PM

Tags: #jpeg #resize #fireworks_cs6

I'm trying to make a jpeg smaller in Fireworks CS6 and each time I do that the image and text on the image gets blurry/fuzzy (originally an illustrator image and that software is not available to me now so using Fireworks). Should I change the format to a gif and than resize?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to TribJenny

GIF would typically be a good choice if the text is set against a background of flat color(s) or simple vectors, and will likely result in the smallest file size. PNG24 is a great choice if the text is set against a more photographic type of background. JPEG is not a great choice when text is involved; it's best suited for photos.

The File > Image Preview... command will allow you to experiment with different formats at the desired output size.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to groove25

I believe you ALWAYS lose some detail EACH time you change a JPG and then save it. That's why GIFs and PNGs are so much better when they can be used appropriately.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to TribJenny

That's a very nice looking graphic! I think that GIF was the right choice.

How about making this a lightbox-style link, where the user can click on the smaller image to see a larger version?

The problem isn't the optimization, BTW; it's the small size of the graphic. The resulting font size is something like 8px, which is not enough resolution to properly render the average typeface. In addition, you're using a display face—something meant for larger headlines, not smaller body copy. Still, I think it looks good, and it's reasonably legible.

It looks like you have extra room on either side within your layout. You could try creating a slightly larger version of the graphic that utilizes more of the available space. Otherwise, I really think that adding a lightbox-style link to a larger version (where the user won't have to leave the current page) is a good solution. If neither of those feels right, then your idea of re-writing the text in the smaller format would also be a good approach.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to TribJenny

Actually, there's one other strategy I could have suggested here, and that's to experiment with different interpolation algorithms, available within the Image Size dialog (under Modify > Canvas > Image Size...).

Image Size dialog.png

The Bilinear option might be a better choice for this particular graphic. Nearest Neighbor might also work but would probably look too aliased. You'd have to experiment to see if this setting makes a significant difference or not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points