Skip navigation
wlaoman
Currently Being Moderated

Resizing objects using Transform window is broken...?

Nov 14, 2012 5:06 AM

Hi all,

Does anyone else have the problem with resizing objects by changing the width and height values in the Transform window, while keeping the proportions of the object? When I try this in CS6, the proportions of the object gets totally botched.

This is what I do:

1. Draw a straight line that is rotated some 30-40°.

2. Select the line and click in the W: or H: fields in the Transform window.

3. Make sure that the "Constrain Width and Height Proportions" button is selected.

4. Press and hold the up arrow key on the keyboard.

5. Watch how the line is rotated as it is scaled.

I notice that while I'm pressing the up or down keys, the number in the selected width or height field is incremented nicely (21 mm, 22 mm, 23 mm, 24 mm, etc.), but when I release the key, it is adjusted to a seemingly random number (for example 24 mm -> 24.168 mm). If I switch between pressing up and down for some time, the adjustment can be even more random (24 mm -> 58,944 mm).

I recently upgraded from CS3 where this type of scaling worked flawlessly. I'm using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7.5.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to wlaoman

THis can be either

- the setting "use preview bounds" or

- the setting "align to pixel grid"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to wlaoman

No, that's no problem. I would have suspected one of them to cause this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to wlaoman

I am going to say that Illustrator CS 6 is reporting the measurement very accurately.

This is why I say that. If you hit the arrow key once it will give you a whole number in the either the width or height field if you where to press once on the arrow keys it will give one o fhe dimensions a one unit increase. although eventually even that will become decimalized. I think itis a question of the sensitivity of the keyboard and the geometry working here, I am not sure CS 3 was reporting things accurately.

That doesn't mean that it was not working accurtely or that it is working more accurately now but just that it might be so.

It seems to me that keeping the arrow key depressed would be a hard way to get a totally accurate whole number as opposed to typing it in.

However as I wrote tah I tedsed this with my magic mouse on my mac and I can boain whole numbers touch scrolling on the mouse so either the mouse's touch controls have more accuare sensitivity and is more pinpoint than the keyboard or you are correct it is a bug or new implementation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

OK so I notice something while I was trying to adjust the width using the mouse again and that is that I had the rotation tool selected when I was using the arrow keys but if I switch to the direct select tool or the selection tool the arrows work as you would hope they would.

So you probably have another tool selected when hitting the up or down arrows switch to a selection tool and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points