Skip navigation
post@mtspp.de
Currently Being Moderated

Editbox too small in german version

Nov 14, 2012 9:27 AM

Indesign Problem.JPG

I think the problem needs not much explanation.

The editfileds are simply too small to display its values, requiring me to scroll, although there is enough space.

Regards

Gerhard Sachs

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to post@mtspp.de

I don't believe this is restricted to the German version. You can request wider fields at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to post@mtspp.de

@Gerhard – what version of InDesign, what Windows OS are you using?

See the following screen from InDesign CS5 on Mac OS 10.6.8 where all input fields have the same size (in contrast to your screen):

RaenderUndSpalten_CS5.png

Even on my Mac version of InDesign it's ridiculous that the fields are not wider…
    Same goes for the "Save As" dialog:

SaveAs_CS5.png

The input field should grow, if one expands the dialog, but it doesn't:

SaveAs_wide_CS5.png

And I'm sure that there are plenty of examples where a little tweak in the code could enhance usability…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to post@mtspp.de

THere was an old bug that did that. What version of ID are you running and is it fully patched?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to post@mtspp.de

I know you didn't complain about the rounding, but a lot of users did and understanding where it came from might be useful. My recollection, which could easily be wrong, is that it's only a dispaly problem and that the "real" value is used in calculations, but it can certainly be an issue with copying the numbers from the fields, I would think. I trip through .idml might fix it, by the way. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

As far as the size of the fields, I don't think anyone disagrees that it would be nice if they were larger. I suspect there may be some limitations due to other languages though, that is the dialogs are set up in their basic form and labels added for all the supported languages, some of which may be quite long compared to English or German.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points