Skip navigation
Ray J Trut
Currently Being Moderated

LR tech support folks say I need special Adobe network-savvy advisor for "photo is missing" problem

Nov 14, 2012 10:51 AM

LR4 on my new LR4-compatible, Windows 7 computer does not recognize the images (the many thousand of them) that I imported into LR3 and have long worked with on my old computer.  Despite following all the various procedures that your tech support personnel have recommended, all images always show the question-marked "Photo is missing" sign after rebooting that computer.  The images are stored on a networked hard drive system (Drobo), which has functioned well with my LR3 setup.  I have spent many hours on the phone with Adobe LR tech support personnel (always a different one) during 4 or more sessions in the last week in trying to solve the problem.  None of the various procedures they have walked me through have worked.  The last person said her supervisor says that there must be a networking problem, and that since the usual LR tech support group does not handle network issues, I must seek help from special networking-savvy Adobe support folks via this forum.  I would point out, however, that my networked system worked perfectly well with LR3.  Please put me in contact with a person who can fix the problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Ray J Trut

First, there's no need to use such a large font. It's like you are shouting at us.

This doesn't sound like a network issue, it sounds like an issue where the photos are not properly linked to the Lightroom catalog (database). Have you tried re-connecting the photos or folders in Lightroom?

Does this problem happen only after you reboot, or does it happen always?

DO you access your network drives via a drive letter? If so, does the drive letter change each reboot?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Ray J Trut

but somehow during the processes that your people have guided me through

Perhaps you don't realize that this is a user-to-user forum; that you are not talking to Adobe employees here?

Are the photos in Lightroom associated with files on the X: drive or some other drive? What is the drive and folder location shown in the Lightroom metadata panel for one of the photos with a ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Ray J Trut

Actually, your main problem is you are not mapping the networked drive to a fixed letter. So every time you reboot, Windows is reassigning a new letter to the drive and LR looses the directory path to the images. Try reading up on how to map a network drive and have it reconnect on login.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points