Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to quickly reassign previously used keywords

Nov 14, 2012 10:46 AM

Tags: #keywords #metadata #bridge_cs6

I'm using Adobe Bridge CS6.

My problem is that I have something like 3000 images, in several folders, to apply keywords to, and the keywords happen to be the names of the people appearing in those photos, and I cannot find an easy way to reapply existing keyword assignments. Let me explain:

Some photos will be a single person, others 2 or 3 in a shot, others maybe 6-8 people. And they appear in constantly changing configurations. For example, "John" may appear alone in photos 1-20, with "Peter" in photos 21-22, with "Sandy" and "Peter" in photos 23-30, "Peter" and "Sandy" alone without "John" in photos 31-70, and "John" by himself alone in photos 71-150, etc., with 500-1000 photos per folder. It gets really tedious when you have a group of 6-8 people that is seen occasionally or partially, interspersed with headshots of single individuals. While I have all of their names set up in a master keyword list, the master list itself has maybe 250 keywords in it, and it is painfully slow and tedious to either scroll up and down to the correct names, or to use the search box at the bottom of the keywords panel, each time the mix of persons in a photo changes. (The search is probably faster, but still slow.)

What I would love to have is a panel that showed ONLY the keywords (names) that I've used for the current folder's photos, which would let me apply them to new photos with either a single click (hallelujah!) or maybe drag-and-drop. This is because the currently used keyword list, if it existed, would be so much shorter than the master list, so that all the necessary keywords would always be in view and easily accessible.

What is maddenly irksome is that the currently assigned keywords appear almost within reach in the filter panel ... but alas, it is not possible to use that panel to assign those keywords to new photos.

I don't know if what I'm hoping to do is even possible in the current version. But maybe it is, or maybe someone here has some advice to make the process less frustrating.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to 3ABNPublishing

What is maddenly irksome is that the currently assigned keywords appear almost within reach in the filter panel ... but alas, it is not possible to use that panel to assign those keywords to new photos.

You can export your current keyword list as back up and create or import a temporarily dedicated shorter keyword list.

But if you look at the metadata panel IPTC Core there is also the option to show the keywords applied to the image (if they don't show use the setting in Bridge Preferences Metadata Tab to select it to show)

Drag and drop is not possible but copy past is an option. Using collections you can select the files you want to apply the same keywords to, and when your search result is complete select the file that has all the correct keywords, copy the complete line of keywords, select all and paste the info in the same line to apply al keywords in one go to all selected files.

Is that about what you are looking for or am I completely misunderstanding your wish?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points