Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

2 responsive design questions

Nov 14, 2012 11:45 AM

Hi,

Question 1) I have some existing sites that need to be converted to responsive (fluid grid layout for tablet and phone).  Do I need to completely relayout the site or can I just do the tablet and phone layouts?

Question 2) is there a good book to buy that will help go thru this step by step like the lessions from Joseph Lowery on Lynda.com??

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to debibrighthope

1.  Depends on your experience with responsive design.  If it's the first-time you are doing this it might be easier to start over to understand how to better make desktop layouts.  If you feel you have a decent grasp on the CSS you may be able to do this in one shot.

2.  Unfortunately, I think the best bet is to read up online.  The topic is still new and rapidly changing.  Plus there are frameworks out there like Twitter Bootstrap, 960GS, etc that aim to make responive grid layouts easier to code so one of those might be a better option instead of sticking exclusively with DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to debibrighthope

You probably don't need to start from scratch. My Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5 Studio Techniques: Designing and Developing for Mobile with jQuery, HTML5, and CSS3 has a detailed example of creating responsive layouts for mobile phones and tablets, starting from an original desktop layout.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to David_Powers

Nice recommendation!  Are you updating this one (duh!) for CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

No, the book isn't being updated. However, I cover responsive design in my Dreamweaver CS6 Learn by Video course.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to debibrighthope

The sections on using media queries for responsive design in my CS5.5 book are still relevant for CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to David_Powers

Hi David,

What are the differences between smartphone and tablet presentation that

result after using jQuery Mobile?

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Al Sparber

jQuery Mobile looks the same on just about any device, just wider or narrower. Although my CS5.5 book covers jQuery Mobile, I wouldn't recommend using it to adapt an existing desktop layout.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to debibrighthope

The CS6 video course is intended as a complete course in web dev, but the chapter on responsive web design with media queries does use a site that was created earlier in the course for display on desktops. However, the desktop design uses percentage widths, so it was designed to be responsive in the first place.

I've also written a tutorial series in the Dreamweaver Developer Centre, which explains how to implement media queries: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/introducing-media-que ries.html. It was written for CS5.5, but should be easy to follow in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to David_Powers

I guess my point was that jQuery mobile is a bad solution in general as

it does not differentiate. Actually it can't - unless they decide to

update it every few weeks The approach is flawed.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

Since 1998

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Al Sparber

I certainly wouldn't use jQuery Mobile as the basis for regular website. In the book, I used it as the basis for creating a mobile app with PhoneGap.

As with all "solutions", you need to assess whether it's suited to whatever project you're working on. When I wrote that book 18 months ago, jQuery Mobile was a "hot topic". Now, it seems to have cooled off.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to David_Powers

It's got a layer of frost on it, in fact

I don't envy your position as an author when it comes to issues like

this that are evolving at a ridiculous pace.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

Since 1998

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Al Sparber

That's one reason I didn't write a book about Dreamweaver CS6. The other reason is that I felt that many of its features, particularly Fluid Grid Layouts and HTML5 support, were only half-baked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points