I rebooted my computer and when I came back to my PremierePro project the Media was offline. The video appears in the viewer as "Media Pending", but it never loads in. In the project assets window, there is a question mark icon next to each media clip.
I didn't move the source files, nor delete them. It appears PremierePro has lost reference to them, that the index file is broken. I made a New project and the media load just fine and I can edit them.
How do I fix this? I need the edits in this project file, it will take me a long time to re-edit them if I can't get them to load in the original file.
Help me ObiWan, you're my only hope!
I cleaned the Media Cache Database... Didn't do anything that I can tell. When I saved then closed the project to reopen it, PremierePro crashed.
It's been crashing a lot since this happened. The new project I started to test the OS and PremierePro itself hasn't had any issues. So it's something fugly on this particular project file.
Thanks for helping.
I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
I've already completed the edit, redoing a lot of the work in a new project.
What went wrong?
How can I avoid this in the future?
Any suggestions are most welcomed.
As I edit, I will do a Save_As, along the way, incrementing my Project's name, with say the addition of "001," "002," etc.. At the end of the day, I then do a Save_As_a_Copy, as Jim suggests. That is my "fail-safe," incase things go wrong.
The difference between the two is basically what happens with that Saved Project. Save_As, will do just that, and with an incremented, or changed name, and then keep THAT Project Open. Save_As_a_Copy will do a Copy, where you direct the program to write it, with any name that you choose, but will NOT keep that Copy Open.
This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837
I use a combo of Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy, at different stages in my editing, plus also keep the AutoSaves, just in case. With Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy, there will be a new set of AutoSaves created in the folder structure of the "new" Saved Projects. Those can be handy, just in case something goes terribly wrong.
Thanks for the suggestions on Save-As and Save-As-Copy, and using an external drive for backup saves as well. All great ideas.
I lost a day just trying to figure out the problem, then ended up re-editing anyway.