Skip navigation
expfarm
Currently Being Moderated

Media Offline After Restarting

Nov 14, 2012 1:10 PM

Tags: #offline #pro #mac #premiere #media #cs6

I rebooted my computer and when I came back to my PremierePro project the Media was offline. The video appears in the viewer as "Media Pending", but it never loads in. In the project assets window, there is a question mark icon next to each media clip.

I didn't move the source files, nor delete them. It appears PremierePro has lost reference to them, that the index file is broken. I made a New project and the media load just fine and I can edit  them.

How do I fix this? I need the edits in this project file, it will take me a long time to re-edit them if I can't get them to load in the original file.

Help me ObiWan, you're my only hope!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to expfarm

Is the media on an internal or external drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to expfarm

Ooooh, that's not good.

Next, try cleaning the Media Cache Database under Edit>Preferences>Media...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to expfarm

There's no way for me to know what got messed up with this project.  It happens on occasion.  That's why backups and copies are advised.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to expfarm

Some folks like Save As... , but that requires a new file name.  I prefer Save a Copy...myself, always to a different physical hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to expfarm

As I edit, I will do a Save_As, along the way, incrementing my Project's name, with say the addition of "001," "002," etc.. At the end of the day, I then do a Save_As_a_Copy, as Jim suggests. That is my "fail-safe," incase things go wrong.

The difference between the two is basically what happens with that Saved Project. Save_As, will do just that, and with an incremented, or changed name, and then keep THAT Project Open. Save_As_a_Copy will do a Copy, where you direct the program to write it, with any name that you choose, but will NOT keep that Copy Open.

This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

I use a combo of Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy, at different stages in my editing, plus also keep the AutoSaves, just in case. With Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy, there will be a new set of AutoSaves created in the folder structure of the "new" Saved Projects. Those can be handy, just in case something goes terribly wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points