Skip navigation
ChristianD1980
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4.2 raw to jpeg very noisy vs camera jpeg

Nov 14, 2012 1:26 PM

Hi, I shoot my pictures in RAW+JPEG on my canon EOS 60D.

When I open the jpeg produced by the camera, there is no (or very few) noise. But the same file (raw imported in Lightroom) without any modification (no change in color balance, exposure,...) just default settings the exported jpeg is very noise and darker.

What cause this heavy noise when viewing the picture in 1:1 size ?

A sample is much easy to explain:

sample_forum.jpg

You can download the full resolution jpeg here: http://demo.ovh.com/download/c7aa49ae94a5ec202eca7f8ffdad0c8d/sample.j pg

Picture settings:

ISO 1600, F/5.6, 1/60sec

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to ChristianD1980

The JPG has the in-camera noise reduction applied to it, while the RAW does not.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to ChristianD1980

First set the Sharpen Mask to a higher value, pressing-and-holding the Alt key while moving the slider, until the edges are the main things sharpened, not the smooth areas with noise.

Then you can also up the Luminance Noise reduction slider to get rid of most of the noise, but leave a little, as it gives the output sharpening something to bite on if you’re reducing the size, somewhat.  What form is the finished product going to take, a print, or a screen-sized photo, or something else? 

Notice that LR has reduced the color noise better than your in-camera JPG.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to ChristianD1980

Unless you’re cropping out a smaller area, the noise-grains are much smaller than output pixels size so you’ll want some of them still there to make things look a little sharper.  You can experiment with how much NR to apply by exporting to your destination size or printing-to-JPG and seeing how things look.    I would send a few test prints without any luminance noise reduction, a few more with some, and some more where it’s high enough to remove the grain from a 1:1 on-screen view, and see which ones look sharper at the smallish print size.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to ChristianD1980

Are you asking how to copy settings from one photo to others?

• Select a group of photos using the thumbnail bar, probably not all 100 but a few with the same lighting and exposure and similar toning adjustments, and make the current photo the one with the settings you want to copy to the rest.
    • Click the Sync button.
    • Click Check None to clear any settings you previously copied in an unrelated session.
    • Put a checkbox next to the Sharpen category of settings.
    • Click Synchronize, and your sharpen settings will be replicated to all the other selected photos. 

You can’t copy just the sharpen-mask setting independent of all the other sharpening settings, so you probably want to do your multi-photo synchronization before you tweak the sharpening individually.

Eventually you will probably want to set up your LR default to have a non-zero Sharpen Mask value, but you won’t know what it needs to be for most photos without some more experience and experimentation.  I usually have mine set pretty high for the default.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to ChristianD1980

What I've found:

If you crank the default sharpening detail down a smidge, and apply a small amount of luminance noise reduction commensurate with the ISO range, then sharpen masking is not needed as much. This is a hot tip, IMO, since I dislike the sharpen masking artefacts (took me over a year to even notice them, now they drive me crazy...).

To each their own of course, but I recommend using a plugin to fill the hole in Lightroom default (detail settings) capability, unless you never shoot auto-ISO, in which case you can use Lightroom's ISO (specific value) based defaults.

e.g.

* Jeffrey Friedl's "Bulk Develop" plugin.

* CollectionPreseter

* OttoImporter

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points