Skip navigation
abadibadababada
Currently Being Moderated

weird hissing bug in Premiere Pro CS6

Nov 14, 2012 3:36 PM

Tags: #pro #audio #premiere #bug #cut #cs6 #hiss

I'm having a very strange problem with audio in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Whenever I make a cut in an audio clip, a few seconds of broadband hiss is introduced into it after the cut. The hiss is only there in the exported video. It does not appear after every cut but about 10% of them.

The hiss is equally there when I export into different video/audio formats. It is there when I used different editing codecs. It might only be there for clips I recorded using some not so good microphones on a Canon 5D II, but the hiss only shows up after I make an audio edit and export the video/audio or just the audio. Sometimes though it shows up right away in PP before export. If I clean up the hiss in Audition for a given clip I no longer hear it in PP but again it reappears after export.

It seems like the problem shows up when editing video shot on a Canon 5D MII with the in camera mic or several shotgun mics, but not with a decent lavalier mic. Changing the edit and export codecs doesn't help the problem.

(i7 960 3.3 GHz, Win 7 sp1 12GB, Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 1280MB, PP 6.02)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to abadibadababada

Are there any effects on the audio clips?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to abadibadababada

I have not encountered the "hissing bug"

hissing_bug.png

But have encountered something similar to what you describe - but with differences.

When Audio is Cut at a point, that is not a Zero-Crossing, depending on the point on the Waveform, that the Cut was made, there can be a "pop," at that spot. Adobe Audition has the ability to set Cut at Zero-Crossing, but I do not think that PrPro has that capability.

Now, all of my encounters with a non-Zero-Crossing Cut has been the formation of a Transient, which does sound just like a pop (not a hiss) sound. I have never heard a hiss, and I do not think that what you are hearing, is what I am, with non-Zero-Crossing Cuts - they just happen to appear AT an Audio Cut.

Still, you might want to look at the Waveform very closely, just to rule out non-Zero-Crossing Cuts, in case that IS causing what you observe, but just producing a different sound, due to the difference in your Audio material.

Also, have you done a side-by-side comparison in Audition between one of the files with the hiss, and the original sourse file? What differences do you see, where the Cut was made, if so?

Wish that I had more to offer than a slightly similar problem, with a different sound.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to abadibadababada

What happens if you send the audio track to Audition, instead of exporting?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to abadibadababada

I just tried this in a test project on another computer that has the same software and very similar hardware. Out of ten tries, I got the hiss once. However, trying to cut again in a close place did not produce the hiss in a few more tries.

Interesting observation, and thanks for reporting your tests.

I am at a loss, as to what would be causing this hiss, when it appears. Luckily, I have never encountered it (just the "pop" for some non-Zero-Crossing Cuts), so have no experience to offer, nor any suggestions.

Maybe Jim will see what I am missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

My only guesses are bad media, or a bad audio driver.  (You said similar hardware.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to abadibadababada

I'm not seeing anything obvious, either.  If you care to upload one of the clips that shows the issue on both computers, I can test it out here.

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to abadibadababada

Having a similar problem in Adobe Premiere CS6, also in CS5.5. When monitoring the audio file in the source panel, it sounds great, but when I add the clip to the timeline a horrible hiss is present that did not exist prior to dropping in the timeline. The file is a mono .wav 24bit sample rate 96k that sounds great everywhere but the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to abadibadababada

All the clips had the denoiser effect to reduce hiss.

Dude, that was my very first question.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to LightLA

Did you ever find the solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same hissing noise as LightLA describes above.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to abadibadababada

Hi There - Did anyone find a good solution for the 'Weid Hissing Bug'?

I have exactly the same issue on some interview footage I shot on a 5D MKII (on-camera sound, Rode shotgun mike)

The hiss is on the fist coulpe of seconds at every edit point (where interviewer is asking the next question off camera)

I've done a lot of messing around, trying to get rid of the hiss, which is most noticable when I export. I don't think I have even used DeNoiser, but EQ instead, which seemed to work on some clips but not others. This problem is really driving me nuts, epecially as this is a paid job. Makes me want to go back to FCP.

Any help/suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to keithlillis

All the clips had the denoiser effect to reduce hiss.  Did anyone find a good solution for the weird Hissing Bug'?

Sure.  Don't use those effects.  Do your audio work in Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 3:02 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim - 'the weid hissing' is on the first 2 seconds of each cut and is not due to the effects I mentioned earlier, (EQ etc). If I edit the footage with no audio effects and export, the hissing is also there. That's when I first noticed it, after export. The original in-camera sound is fine. My export settings are HD YouTube. It appears to happen when I make a cut using the razor tool and is on the first few seconds of the splice after each cut.

Do you have anymore thoughts on this, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to keithlillis

Sorry, I've only ever heard of this happening with effects applied.

Check again, even in the mixer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim - I'll check the mixer setting as you suggest.

If you have any other thoughts, please let me know.

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to keithlillis

Hey Keith,

Do you have any update on this?  This is exactly what's happening to me and driving me nuts.

thanks

John

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to knx22

Hi John - Very unfortunately, I have not found an answer to the hissing problem and I have scoured the net, believe me.

The only solution I have is not to use the razor tool in Prem Pro CS6 and do all the editing with in and out points.

If you do find a solution, or more info, please let me know.

Regards

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 5:10 PM   in reply to keithlillis

Hey Keith,

Thanks for the quick reply and the tip.  I'll definitely keep you posted if i find anything else.  I guess we're the only two in the creative world with this issue? haha

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to knx22

Hi guys,

Im also having this problem - when editing the footage in Premiere cc in sounds fine, once I export it a very noticeable hiss appears for 2 seconds on every clip.  I used the denoiser on my footage as I was in an art gallery and it was very echoey.  Im gutted to see that so few people have this problem and no-one has an answer for it!

I have had so many problems with Pcc since I got it, Im getting closer and closer each day to switching to FCP

Good luck guys, please let me know if you find an answer!

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to TonyT83

The answer was in post 17.  Don't use that audio effect in PP.  It has a long history of this exact issue.  Do that kind of audio work in Audition instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to TonyT83

Hi Tony - I had the hissing bug WITHOUT using denoiser and the bug appeared when I used the razor tool to cut footage in the timeline.

And like you, the issue only appeared after export. The only solution I have is not to use the razor tool when editing the audio footage.

I really wish I could be more helpful and would dearly love to find a solution to this. Do you still get the hissing if you don't use denoiser

before export?

Regards

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to keithlillis

I was really excited to discover that I'm not the only one with this problem, but equally disappointed to find that the solution appears to be to go back and re-do all my work without the razor tool.  :-(

I used that tool on about 25% of my cuts, but the hiss appears there for pretty much every transition.  As with others, it is NOT evident when reviewed within Premier, but is only present in the exported result.  Are there any good tools that can help me fix the audio after the fact?  Are there any other ways to catch and fix this problem?

I'm a bit new at this, so it took me about 8 hours to make a 3 minute video.  I'd hate to have to start over, as I'm reasonably pleased with the way ti finally turned out (excpt for the hiss, of course).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 1:34 AM   in reply to keithlillis

Hi Keith,

Sorry for the late reply.  No I never hear the hiss in PP, it is only ever after I export that the problems arise.

Very frustrating!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 1:36 AM   in reply to GazpachoPro

Hi Gaz,

unfortunately for you (and for a lot of others) there doesn't seem to be a fix to this at the minute apart from redoing your work and doing the audio editing in Audition instead.  This is a huge oversight from Adobe and I really hope they fix it soon as I have been left very frustrated in general by the amount of bugs and problems I have come across since switching from Final Cut.  Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points