Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

Pro Edition - Best Business Practice

Nov 15, 2012 4:53 AM

Tags: #business #professional_edition #pro_edition

Hi guys,

It is time to take a decision here, and I'd like your opinions on this issue. I have spent the past 2 months on learning DPS on my own and with the lovely help of this Forum. (Thank you all!)

We are about to purchase a Pro Edition License in order to attend a client who wants to publish a multi-issue app (a quarterly magazine). After asking for prices and having a chat with some of DPS representatives in Brazil, we found out that "multi-issue apps needs to be continuously feed by a DPS license" in order to have it available for download on App/Play/Amazon Store. That's what I got:

(1) If we buy a license now and decide do not renew it next year, all the multi-issue apps made during this period would be lost.

(2) If we buy a license now, it would finish by November 2013. If we buy a Fulfillment (let's say 25,000 commit) by June 2013, we would lose that too by November, because multi-issue apps are all hosted in Adobe's servers and the only way to keep them available and working on the apps Stores is keep paying the DPS license.

If that is correct, I have to say this is completely unfair. If the actual price of DPS Platform is based on costs for "plugins package" + "host", when the license finishes we should be able to pay (at least) just the price of "hosting"!

Could someone clarify/confirm that and give us a light on what would be a good practice on how to be offering services using Adobe DPS?

For what I have figured out on another discussion: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4053867#4053867 we should better ask clients to buy all licenses and certs (including DPS, iOS/Android Dev/Dist certs) and just charge them design/development/production costs. (?)  But regarding DPS costs, that wouldn't be affordable/viable for some clients.

How are small businesses or startups managing that? I would appreciate those who could share their practice/experience.

Regards!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to cgv.br

(1) If we buy a license now and decide do not renew it next year, all the multi-issue apps made during this period would be lost.

• Your App would still be in App store and users who have already downloaded content would be able to still view it, however Adobe will stop hosting your Folios and users will not be able to download un-downloaded issues or re-download any issues.

(2) If we buy a license now, it would finish by November 2013. If we buy a Fulfillment (let's say 25,000 commit) by June 2013, we would lose that too by November, because multi-issue apps are all hosted in Adobe's servers and the only way to keep them available and working on the apps Stores is keep paying the DPS license.

• Yes, you need an active DPS subscription to make it work.

If that is correct, I have to say this is completely unfair. If the actual price of DPS Platform is based on costs for "plugins package" + "host", when the license finishes we should be able to pay (at least) just the price of "hosting"!

• The point has already been discussed earlier and I do not think that this would be implemented anytime soon.

• In case you do not wish to renew your subscription, go in for Built in Single Apps instead of Multi Issue apps, you can go ahead and opt for Creative Cloud Subscription. In case Multi-Isse apps is the only option for you, then you will have to renew your DPS Subscription.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:45 PM   in reply to cgv.br

Honestly, we are stuggling with this. For a person that just wants to publish a single title with multiple issues the price is proving to be too high.

Everything I read about how a magazine app should work goes against what Adobe does. We would love to publish more smaller issues of content but that would generate more downloads= more cost.  So instead we end up publishing less frequently and are very actively searching for another solution even though we will lose all of our issues so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to Mōtum

Publishing on All platforms - Android/Amazon/iOS may gives you more revenue. For increasing revenue. I'll suggest bringing in Ads for the magazine as other publishers if you wish to keep the Magazine Free. You can use Social sharing option to generate interest in your magazine as well. When you compare the revenue generation that your Magazine could generate accross all platforms and the features provided, the price seems appropriate for Professional Edition.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to Himanshu Singh

So you are now an expert on our niche magazine, our audience, and our marketing?

Selling ad space in a very niche magazine has been very difficult for a platform that many do not fully understand yet.

I can think of a dozen examples where someone might want to publish a single title, multi issue publication where $500 a month + $0.30 a download is outrageous.  This platform would be ideal for newsletters by organizations like churches, HOAs, small businesses of all sorts, social clubs etc. 

Ideally we would love to follow the advice of publishing smaller issues more often, but if we break an issue down into 3 parts it will now generate 3x more downloads than a single issue, so is 3x the cost!

|
    Mark as:
  • Calvin Mousavi
    60 posts
    Apr 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Himanshu Singh

As we see these threads has been sent about a year ago. As one of the first DPS users, I see nothing has changed since then but it turned some how worse.

1- If in buyers guide, Adobe offers Professional Edition for "midsize media companies and business publishers" how can a small business afford paying $619 (Aussie Dollar) a month to keep the apps up in iTunes when we are struggling to introduce DPS to customers? One month we might not be able to have any client, does that mean we have to pay off our savings to keep 10 apps up and running? and if not, we have to explain to our previous clients that "sorry mate, you need to pay $619 for your free app to stay in iTunes?!"

2- What is the benefit of Pro Edition than Single Edition? We might as well stick with Creative Cloud as at the end the iPad app stays live and we are paying all this money for iPhone, Android and ... to just be up in iTunes for 3 weeks! (considering the fact that it takes best case scenario 1 week for iTunesConnect to approve our app out of 4 weeks subscription period).

3- What if someone wants to have free app? how can we convince him to pay monthly to keep his free app? He can say, forget DPS, I get developers to make my app by XCode... and it's only one time fee...

4- Aren't we ambassadors of Adobe as developers and designers? We work not only to build up our small businsses but also advertise Adobe product to our clients. Why can't Adobe let us take control of our OWN app? I am not saying we make it for free, I am happy to pay $619 a month to make app but I don't think it is fair what so ever to pay every month just for sake of keeping them!

5- As you probably guessed I am from Australia and since 2011 till now as far as I know not even one person tried to take this business serious. I contacted Adobe Australia today and no one answered me and after 3 hours trying 10 different 1800 numbers and local numbers someone told me that I do not need to pay the fee every month to keep my app up!! He said once you pay the amount, you can keep your app in both iPhone & iPad forever for free!! I've got guy's name with reference number as I knew he has no idea what he is talking about!

and this guy was the senior manager and supervisor as the other guy had not heard about DPS at all! He gave me US number and said sorry sir they are off today as it is thanks giving day! I said are you telling me there is not even one person in Australia to talk about the product I purchased?! I contacted some resellers in Australia and they said no one and yes no one has ever purchased Pro Edition or Single Edtion from them yet and I am the first person asking and obviously they were not useful either!

6- It is not even about how small or large is our business. It is also about our clients as well. Not everyone can afford this fee! The amount of smart phones are more than tablets and clients are more interested in having their app in iPhone for instance than iPad. How can I convince them to pay this fee when I have to be quite careful by not going too technical about DPS to sell it to them?!

7- To cut the long story short, I think this is the time now for Adobe to take DPS more seriously and let us as those who are interested of using this great package, USE the software and introduce this great offer to those who haven't heard about it yet.

I am sure just for sake of publishing in iPhone, no one would like to spend this much money just to keep the app up.

8- I am a concerned memeber. I like to use your product. I have been using Adobe products since the begining. I think someone should hear us and take this fee off the package and let us pay whenever we want to publish and let us have our own app! Otherwise for such a small company like mine which my main focus is in DPS, it is better of closing down the business and work for someone else. Please hear us out and HELP US WORK TOGETHER BETTER.

Kind regards,

Calvin Mousavi

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to Calvin Mousavi

Locking this thread since it was originally answered and Calvin has posted the same list of questions in a new post.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points