Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Granfer1950
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 and D600

Nov 15, 2012 5:10 AM

I have CS5 and a Nikon D600.  How can I download the correct camera RAW version so that CS5 is compatible with the NEF files from the D600?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Granfer1950

Hi. You’ve posted your question in a forum that is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop.  I'm moving your question to the Adobe Camera Raw forum for specialized attention to your situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to Granfer1950

I don't think that camera was added until after Photoshop CS6 was released. So there won't be a version of ACR that directly supports that camera. However, if you download the DNG converter, latest version, you can use it to create digital negative (DNG) copies of your images that will open in the ACR that you have now.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to JimHess

Actually you can download DNG converter (BETA) which is available at the adobe labs: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw7-3/?tabID=details#tabTop

which has beta support for the Nikon D600. Convert the files to DNG (as mentioned by Jim above) and you will be able to use the files in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

I've downladed DNG Converter 7.3, but it doesn't see my NEF files.  I've tried several different ways to transfer the files from my D600:  copy and pasting from the card, but also having the converter look directly on the card for the NEF files (of which there are many).  Obviously, I'm missing something very simple....  Advice?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to RSiemens

RSiemens wrote:

Obviously, I'm missing something very simple....  Advice?

DNG Converter works of folders of image, not individual images. Drag and drop a folder of images and you should be able to convert them.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to RSiemens

If you want to convert some, but not all, a one-line .bat file will do it (on Windows):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe DNG Converter" -cr7.1 -dng1.3 -p0 %*

(adjust dng converter command-line parameters to taste, then drag and drop one or more files upon it)

Not sure how to do it on Mac.

PS - Dunno how to wrap jpegs in a dng, or do lossy "pseudo-raw" dngs, or fast-load data, yet, since Adobe hasn't updated the dng converter command-line documentation yet - ugh.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

If you want to convert some, but not all, a one-line .bat file will do it (on Windows):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe DNG Converter" -cr7.1 -dng1.3 -p0 %*

(adjust dng converter command-line parameters to taste, then drag and drop one or more files upon it)

There's an even easier way on Windows. Just drag and drop one or more raw files (from any camera manufacturer) onto the DNG executable (or any shortcut to the executable) and that opens the DNG Converter dialog. You can then adjust your desired output settings if desired, or if you just press Convert the DNG Converter will adopt its default output settings and dump the converted .dng files (with the same file name as the original but with the new .dng file extension) back into the source folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

Good to know - thanks for the tip.

The way you've suggested is especially good if you want the prompt, or until Adobe documents the command-line parameters for the new features.

The bat is good if you want to fix the settings and bypass the prompt. For example, one could direct the output to an auto-importing folder, and then importing camera files from card is just a matter of dragging them from the card and dropping them on the bat.

More than one way to get things done...

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 12:04 AM   in reply to Granfer1950

Thanks Andrew, Jeff, and Rob for the quick response.  That was, indeed, very simple-- but it would have taken me weeks to figure out.

Best,

RS

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points