Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Converted swf not playing

Nov 15, 2012 5:10 AM

Hi guys

I use Flash CS6 (as part of the Master Collection) on a Win7 Pro 64 bit PC.

A client has asked for a video in a SWF format. I have created a SWF using these steps:

1.     I exported the video from PremierePro as an FLV file,

2.     I created a new Flash project,

3.     I imported the flv file, selecting "Load external video with playback component" and selected a skin (adjusting the stage accordingly),

4.     I used "File"/ "Export" to export the flv movie as a swf file. It created 2 swf files, one under the name I entered and the other called "MinimaFlatCustomColorPlayBackSeekCounterVolMute.swf".

All went well and the resulting swf plays perfectly on the PC I produced the swf file on. The trouble is I can't open the swf on anything else. On my laptop it keeps asking me to choose a program to open the file. I then tried "publish", which also produces an html file. The html file plays in Dreamweaver on the original PC but not on my laptop. I tried putting the swf and it's accompanying file up on the web using dreamwever but there's just a blank space where the swf should be.

Logically, the fact the swf file plays on the original PC suggests it has converted succesfully but there's a component or something missing along the way that is needed for it to play anywhere else.

Can anyone tell me please where I'm going wrong or if I should have approached this in a different way?

Regards,

Graham

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to glaustin

In selecting the option to load an external video using the playback component you are choosing to not import the video file but to instead have the playback component load it when the file is run.   You still need to include the flv file in the same relative location as it is on your system.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to glaustin

Don't sweat the thicko aspect... video is not my strong point so I can only hope I am not leading you down a wrong path.

Look in the fla file and check the path that is specified for the flv file for the FLVPlayback component.  To find it, assuming it was added to the properties of the player, select the player on the stage and then look in the Properties panel for the "source" parameter.

If it happens to specify an absolute path (like "C://dir/dir/etc/yourflvfilename.flv") then you should change it to a relative path... meaning if the html, swfs, and flv are all in the same folder, just specify the flv filename ("yourflvfilename.flv").

Hopefully that helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points