Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to move cursor digitally, not by hand motion

Nov 15, 2012 2:18 PM

For cropping  part of an image, the cursor virtually snaps to positions according to what the programmer sees in the image.  Maybe not always, but that is the way it seems to me in many cases.  Even when it does not do so, I find it impossible to move the cursor in very tiny increments by using my mouse.  If I were to greatly enlarge the image on the screen to get finer control, then only part of the image would fit on the screen.  I want a technique for controlling the selection with as much fine precision as is available when resizing, for example.  We can specify hundredths of a millimete when resizing; very finely precise indeed.

Is there a technique that I can use to have very fine and precise control of a crop, preferably by specifying a movement left-right-up-down using decimal fractions of a unit of distance?  The same question applies to using the selection tool.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to Highmeadowhiker

In Elements Crop tool snaps to edges of the photo automatically.  You can try doing one thing to precisely make crop boundaries

1.. Go to Edit>Preferences>General and select the option "Zoom with scroll wheel.
    2. First zoom in to the image using scroll wheel and then use the crop tool to precisely make the boundary. You can also use the shortcut "Ctrl + +"  to zoom in and shortcut "Ctrl + -" to zoom out and precisely make the crop boundary. But using scroll wheel to zoom in and out will help you better.

While using crop tool you may not be able to zoom, but after leaving the mouse click ,zoom into the image to make exact crop boundary by dragging.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to Highmeadowhiker

What version of photoshop elements and operating system are you using?

With the Crop Tool you can press and hold the Ctrl (cmd) key to turn off the snapping while moving the crop boundaries.

For selections you might try Select>Transform Selection and then you can enter precise numbers in the tool options bar.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points