Skip navigation
chapelhll
Currently Being Moderated

cannot initialize elements 2 on windows 7.worked fine on xp. get message the scratch discs are full.

Nov 16, 2012 7:20 AM

Have 8gb ram & 2tb hard drive. any suggestions.  ?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,865 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 16, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to chapelhll

Elements generally prefers hard drives of 1tb and less. If you have other volumes try holding down "Ctrl+Alt" whilst launching PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to 99jon

Dear 99 jon , Thanks a lot . Have a 1Tb  external drive, turned it on and held down Cntr/Alt.  Magic i now have elements 2 running.  Thanks again.   Chapelhall.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,865 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 16, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to chapelhall

Glad to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to 99jon

Hi Jon,       Now find that after making alterations to photographs using Photoshop Elements 2.0

that I cannot save the changes, as it says  ""disc full".     Have you any suggestions ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to chapelhall

Unless you skrink or fill up your hard drive so you have less than 1TB of free space, pse 2 will probably never work very well

as it came out before large hard drives were common and can't deal with the big sizes and that's the reason you can't save to your

2 TB hard drive.  It would probably work if you saved to the external hard drive, pse 2 might work slower with an external hard drive set

as the scratch disk depending on how fast the connecton is.

Your best option is to upgrade to photoshop elements 11, which doesn't have those problems.

You could also use a virtual machine or if your version of windows 7 supports it: Virtual XP.

A virtual machine like vmware player or virtual box, but you would have to install your own operating system such as windows xp.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly wrote:

Unless you skrink or fill up your hard drive so you have less than 1TB of free space, pse 2 will probably never work very well

as it came out before large hard drives were common and can't deal with the big sizes and that's the reason you can't save to your

2 TB hard drive.  It would probably work if you saved to the external hard drive, pse 2 might work slower with an external hard drive set

as the scratch disk depending on how fast the connecton is.

Your best option is to upgrade to photoshop elements 11, which doesn't have those problems.

Apparently it does have those problems.  I'm using PSE/PE 11 and I get the same message when attempting a backup of the catalog.  I'm trying to BU to an internal HDD (SSD) with 188GB free - no luck.  Attempt another internal with 345GB free on 2nd HDD - no luck.  My catalog size from Help/System Info shows 21.6MB but within the BackUp app of Elements Organizer, it says it is trying to backup 612,678.10MB - ??????????????????? No wonder it thinks there is not enough disk space for the operation

Fred

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points