Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't use certain fonts in Flash CS6!

Nov 16, 2012 7:47 AM

Tags: #fonts #bug #interface

I'm getting crazy over this problem and can't find any solution online or in any forum. The thing is, I can't use certain fonts in Flash CS6. For example the Google Web font "Alegreya", and my purchased font from MyFonts named "Gibson", doesn't show up in the font list, in the Character panel in the Flash CS6 interface. Alegreya is a TrueType font and Gibson is OpenType.

Another weird problem is with the Google Web font "Arvo". When I use the Regular state of that font it works nice, but when I switch to the Bold state the whole text field turns into a grey block?? See the screenshot on this link:

I have tried several things to solve these issues. I use Suitcase Fusion 4 as my font handling program, so my first test was to close down that program and make it not start automatically on startup. Then I restarted my Mac, and installed the above mentioned fonts directly on the Mac by using the included Type program in Mac OSX. I also removed Flash CS6 from my computer, and restarted it.

But this doesn't help. And the really weird thing is that in ALL other Adobe programs such as Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign, all these 3 fonts mentioned above works great!

Can anyone please help me with this issue? This is my system information:

Mac OSX version 10.7.5

Adobe Flash CS6 version 12.0.0.481

Suitcase Fusion 4 version 15.0.4 (but as mentioned, the problems doesn't seem to be connected to this program)

Replies
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 16, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Erik H L

do those fonts show up if you use actionscript to enumerate your fonts?

for(var font:Font in Font.enumerateFonts()){

trace(font.fontName);

}

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 16, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Erik H L

use:

var a:Array = Font.enumerateFonts(true)

for(var i:int=0;i<a.length;i++){

trace(a[i].fontName);

}

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 16, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Erik H L

if you've not already done this:

close flash and shutdown or restart your computer.  reopen flash to see if the fonts are listed when selecting a textfield.

if that doesn't work, let me know.  we'll see if we can embed those fonts using actionscript.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 19, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Erik H L

flash is known to have problems with corrupt fonts.  i don't know if you have any corrupt fonts but see if you can use suitcase fusion to scan for corrupt fonts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to kglad

I have this same question....where do I paste this code?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 19, 2012 9:09 PM   in reply to dchriss

you can paste that code in any timeline that plays or in a document class.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Erik H L

I've found rebuilding the font cache in OSX works sometimes, all you have to do is:

- shut down the computer

- reboot holding the left Shift key, this will put it into 'safe mode' which will rebuild the font cache

- after it's loaded, restart it normally to get back into normal mode

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to Erik H L

I recently had some insane font problems in Flash CS6. Turns out my problem was corrupt fonts in Adobe's font cache. I'm on a windows machine, so I'm not sure of the directory, but both Adobe and OSX have their own font caches which you should clean out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to davemakes

I am having problems with corrupt fonts in Flash 5, on a Windows machine - how do you clean it out on Windows?  Would really appreciate any help with this..

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 2:19 AM   in reply to Erik H L

I'm having the same probs with my flash cs6, the font's aren't corrupt and still i don't see them in my fontlist

in the other programs like PS, AI, ID, i can use them, but not in flash

Any solutions yet??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 3:10 AM   in reply to STYLENT

I'm facing the same problem as well on Mac OS X 10.7.4 and Flash CS6. Although on Windows the fonts are working fine. Any solution to this?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Dec 19, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Getzo_R

many recent (past week or so) problems with fonts not showing in flash are due to an ms update.  to remedy, uninstall this update:  kb2753842

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to kglad

I don't think that's the problem since I'm using Mac not Windows. It might be an operating system issue but not sure as I recently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Erik H L

I'm also having this issue, here are my experiences:

The font I need can be hlighlighted, even in static text mode disappears off the stage. I can still highlight and copy and past the font but once deselected it completely disappears. Compiling the swf reflects the missing fonts and is noticeable to other users. The font does appear again after changing my anti-alias mode back to 'use device fonts' - but disappears with 'Anti-alias for readibilty/animation. Using TLF makes the font show up, however; is not an acceptable solution as I need to support fp 9+.

I use flash every week or every other week or so. I think the last time I used it was early December and it was fine - so this is a recent issue for me. I'm using windows 7, and the issue is in my copy of flash cs4/cs5.5 and cs6. I've been tracking it down to a windows update, however; I can't confirm that yet. I did delete my fntcache.dat file and rebuilt the font cache with no luck.

With all this information, I'm lead to believe it's something new, something that adobe didn't introduce and is affecting Adobe Flash products. Photoshop is unaffected.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to Erik H L

I'm using OS X 10.8.2
    so it has idd nothing to do with Windows or Mac like allready said

it's only in Flash, the rest of my adobe appz doesn't have that problem

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to kglad

The same as for Erik H L, all the text fields when selected gives "_sans" although its a different font than "_sans". Also the font I installed isn't showing in the Family drop down list in Flash and all the characters are squashed as if the letter spacing is small although it isn't. attached a screenshot here:

Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 6.37.06 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to Biscuitcleaver

I am having the exact same problem as Biscuitcleaver. Fonts are showing and selectabler in the fontlist, but are invisble on stage.

I have opened flash files a have made for one month ago and suddenly the fonts are invisble (Frutiger - which should be a well known font).

I found a solution but it should not be necessary. I have converted my fonts into Truetype (.ttf) and then installed them again.

You can use this online transformer to convert them http://www.freefontconverter.com

But i would like another solution from ADOBE

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to Kim Hougaard

Kim,

My problem was resolved by reading post #15 by kglad. Once I uninstalled the security update, everything was working again. It's an update that Microsoft made to their otf driver and Flash is relying on the security flaw taht was introduced for some fonts. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Kim Hougaard

the font i'm using and is not recognized by Flash is allready a TTF font , so that doesn't fix it either in my case

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to STYLENT

I have just tried deleting the windows update suggested in #15 and that helped..... fantastic.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to Kim Hougaard

I know! Now if we could just get Adobe to fix the numurous fp 11 issues I'd actually enjoy Flash again.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3336021

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 9:12 PM   in reply to kglad

Thanks a lot kglad. I was breaking my head over this for the two days. I uninstalled the ms update and all the fonts are back again.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Dec 19, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to nravi_1963

you're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 3:27 AM   in reply to kglad

Hello everyone,

Please read this TechNote for information on how this issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

@kglad @Suhas Yogin, All these solutions are for Windows. Did you find a solution for Mac? the problem still persists on Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Should I downgrade my OS? Please inform me if you have a solution to this.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Getzo_R

Hello,

I have the exact problem!

I'm working with Mac OsX 10.8.2. and and Suite Fuison 4.
    The problem occurs in Flash CS6.

The fonts either aren't displayed at all or condensed and squashed, like in the screenshot from post#20
    Hope some one can help?
    I already cleared the Suite Fusion Cache and reinstalled the fonts, deleted duplicated ones... etc.

Please help!
    Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 11:27 PM   in reply to Erik H L

I was having the same problem that @Erik H L, @Getzo_R and @PINKPANDAJUJU reported, and thankfully just found a solution that worked for my Mac OSX 10.7.5 ... Flash CS6.

I restarted in safe mode by holding the left shift key down during reboot. This clears out the font cache. Note, it took quite awhile to reboot, and I finally got the screen that showed I was in safe mode.

Then I  rebooted normally, and viola, the fonts work again! Again, it took a long time to reboot...lots had to initialize again. Then when I started Flash CS6 I was beginning to think it was never going to start (took several minutes) but when it finally opened, all my missing fonts were  showing correctly. Whew!

Another tip I'd read to remedy this issue was to move ALL the fonts out of both user and computer library font folders...into a temporary folder. This essentially uninstalls them. Then move the misbehaving fonts back into the computer font folder (home/library/fonts) and that seemed to work for some folks. They then added the fonts they used often back into the folder as well, with no issues. I didn't try this method since the rebooting to safe mode fixed it for me, but thought I'd pass along this other advice, in case safe mode reboot doesn't fix it for someone. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to Erik H L

If you're on mac. Open it with font book and hit install. You should then see it automatically under "family"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Erik H L

- MAC Users - OSX 10.8.2 CS6

I was having the same problem of @Erik H L, @Getzo_R and @PINKPANDAJUJU and i then used the 1st method written by @Kerikatet and it worked.

To sum it up:

[Method #1]

Reboot in safe mode by pressing the SHIFT key (it takes a while) so the OS clears the font cache.

Reboot then in normal mode and the fonts should show properly.

Recommended for those who have a truckload of fonts (like me) and can't really follow Method #2 because of the high number of fonts installed.

This worked smoothly for me. Bear in mind that you might have to repeat this operation every 2 months. Not a big hassle imho, while Adobe develops the fix.

[Method #2]

Move -ALL- fonts out of BOTH "USER" AND "COMPUTER" library fonts folder into a temporary folder (for example, create one on the desktop); this operation uninstalls them.

Move the misbehaving fonts back into the computer font folder (home/library/fonts).

Start Flash (it will "see" the fonts now) and make sure the fonts are there;

Close Flash

Add the remaining fonts.

@Action_Squish : that procedure Installs them. people here are dealing with fonts correctly installed already but not showing in Flash (while working perfectly in other Adobe products).

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to Erik H L

My company's design team recently encountered this issue and we were able to permanently resolve the issue. Here is what we discovered, and how we resolved the issue.

The GoogleFont project uses project versioning from Mercurial to keep community submissions orderly. Mercurial is a free software that you can install in Mac/Linux/Windows. I did so, and then attempted to clone the entire repository for the GoogleFont project to my Mac (Mac OS X 10.8.3). What I discovered in doing so is that many of the fonts are named identical to each other, with the only difference being case. For example, when cloning via Mercurial to my machine, Mercurial reports a "case-folding collision" when downloading:

meriweather.otf

meriweather.OTF

Mac OS's file system (HFS+) can't differentiate between these two files. So it treats them as one file. EXT in Linux doesn't mind duplicate names with different case, it treats them as two different files. So I cloned the repo to a Linux machine which had the added benefit that Mercurial does a CRC check to confirm without a doubt that the repo that I've just cloned is byte for byte identical to the fonts on the GoogleFont project (no chance of a corrupt font download) and then migrated the repo to my Mac. After doing so I imported the entirety of the repo into Suitcase Fusion. I can activate any of the Google fonts and they now appear to work correctly in Flash and every other CS6 application. 

Bottom line, I believe that Google's inclusing of identical font file names who's only difference is case is causing some kind of issue (maybe resources are being incorrectly overwritten during import to Windows and Mac platforms). Cloning the repo and importing into FontBook or SF4 works perfectly.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points