Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best resolution to shoot video in for workflow of PP to Encore

Nov 16, 2012 8:16 AM

Tags: #resolution #dvd #high_definition #standard_definition

In creating DVD's for high school musicals, we are renting HD cameras (because thats all our supplier has).  My question is this.  Since we have to create SD DVD's in order to satisfy all of our customers, what resolution should we use on our camera to import into PP and then Encore for the sharpest images?  Do we shoot in 1080i or do we shoot in 720 (i or p).  I've tried 4 project now at 1080i 29fps and the quality is still fuzzy.  I've had old VHS Camcorders produce better video on a tv than what I'm getting on DVD.

Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to dkardell

I have a Canon HFS100 and I record at 1080i 30 (I think at the "next to top" setting, but camera is in a closet in another room)

I export out of PPro CS5 to Widescreen DV AVI and use that file for authoring in Encore (I **never** use Dynamic link, too many problem reports)

My DVD picture quality is EXCELLENT - far better than when I used an 8mm tape camera

Post more information http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840 with particular emphasis on your project settings from start to finish

You should have a DVD that looks MUCH better than a VHS tape

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to dkardell

I recommend 24p.  It looks a whole lot better than the 'video' look of 30i.  And the reduced frame rate also allows a higher quality encode.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to dkardell

Because 30p can't go on disk, 30i can.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers