Skip navigation
benprichards
Currently Being Moderated

INDD CS5.5: Text is shifting in table cells

Nov 16, 2012 9:09 AM

Tags: #pdf #cs5.5 #table

I have a large table (36 rows, 17 columns). The content is prices, right-aligned, two decimal places.

When I export as a PDF, the numbers slowly shift, moving top to bottom, either to the left or right (this happens on many (but not all) different pages), for 20-25 rows, at which point the positioning is corrected. Total deviation from row 1 until the correction varies, from 0.0067 inches to 0.0109 inches.

This happens only when exporting a PDF from InDesign (CS5.5). If I print from the .indd the problem is not there. If I print a .ps and use Distiller, the resulting PDF is fine.

All cells have the same settings as far as padding, tabs, type size.

I'll post this in the Acrobat forums as well.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to benprichards

Have you installed the InDesign 7.5.3 patch? It may not be pertinent to this problem, but you certainly should do so if you haven't.

What printer are you using? ID isn't known for it's universal good printing habits.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to benprichards

Sorry, brain cramp. You did say export to PDF...

Have you tried an export to .idml? see Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to benprichards

That's what I meant. Very strange, and I have absolutely no idea why it's happening.

Is the shift cell-by cell? The last line in the cell above looks to be aligned with the first line in the cell you've shown fully, and the bottom line is actually ever so slightly right of the one in the middle. I don't know what that means, though, if anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to benprichards

I think you should consider opeing a cutomer support case using the portal: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/customer-support-por tal.html

If you don't have a support contract, I think they'll want your credit card number, but I also think that if the problem is found to be a bug the charges are refunded, and I'm fairly confident this is a bug of some sort.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points