Skip navigation
floralfidelity
Currently Being Moderated

Images are automatically saturated when opened in PS

Nov 16, 2012 2:16 PM

Tags: #saturation #automatic_saturation

Hi,

I've been using Photoshop for a while, and was recently bought CS5...  My problem is, everytime I either import a photo from my files or I copy an image offline, open a new file and then paste in the image, they come out highly saturated.

I've searched the PS forums and have seen it might be something to do with my monitor settings but I'm not particularly good with technical talk so I haven'tgot a clue what I should be looking for or what I should be changing.

Thanks for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to floralfidelity

What type of images are you opening?  Not a color whiz but sounds like a color profile problem.  Look that up on the web and see it you can decifer while waiting for some of the color experts to respond.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to floralfidelity

Most images are untagged sRGB and it sounds like Photoshop's working color space is set to Adobe RGB 1998 or ProPhoto RGB. That would cause such images to saturate.

Ctrl + Shift + k in Photoshop to bring up the color settings and choose "North America General Purpose 2" from the settings menu at the top. That would select sRGB as the working space.

If your digital images are basically from your camera and the Internet,it's the proper setting.

Let us know if that works.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to floralfidelity

Nothing mysterious. as the otehrs already pointed out, your color management is defunct or completely absent.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to floralfidelity

You don't need to fix anything in Photoshop.

The problem is that your display profile is wrong, and the display profile is an OS setting -- where you set it depends on which OS version you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to floralfidelity

also

opening a known good reference file like the Getty-Photodisc PDI .jpg may help you rule out the monitor profile (if it display correctly in Photoshop, your monitor profile is likely okay)

you may be using a WIDE GAMUT MONITOR

you may be opening images that have no embedded profile

ASSIGN CONVERT

and/or you may also have Photoshop Edit> Color Settings> Color Management Policies set up to ignore profiles and warnings - I recommend you try these settings:

Settings.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to gator soup

The OP needed to be given a good reference on color management, not further confusion.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

6.Lundberg02, please do me a favor and paste in an example of what you may find confusing about what i wrote here or on my links, I would like to find out what the problem is so i can address it

regards

gary

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Lundberg02 wrote:

The OP needed to be given a good reference on color management, not further confusion.

Gary's recommendations were right on, Lundberg.  But if you felt a more direct response would have been to provide a color-management reference, why not just provide one instead of complaining that others didn't provide one?  You raised gator's hackles a bit and you didn't really provide any help.

Floralfidelity, I'm afraid this may be one of those cases where you really ARE going to have to throw your arms wide and try very hard to embrace the technical.  It's near impossible to understand why things work the way they do without gaining a basic understanding of what color-management is and how it's implemented in the real world. 

I don't personally have any good links to share with you, but a Google search for "introduction to color management" turns up a fair bit of reference material.  I only caution you to keep in mind that in this realm a fair number of folks who don't really know what they're doing themselves still try to tell others how to do things, so whenever you read articles keep in mind that no matter how pretty the printing the information may not actually be right.  Use your common sense to judge whether what you're reading fits with everything else you've learned.

When you finally do gain an understanding you'll wonder how you ever got things the right colors before. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points