Skip navigation
Julian O
Currently Being Moderated

Multicamera function choppy

Nov 16, 2012 1:01 PM

Tags: #multicamera #muticam #multi-camera_source_sequence

I am on a IMac 3.06 Core 2 Duo with 16gbs of Ram and 1TB of hard drive (600gigs available). Just got Pro CS6 and am trying to edit footage from 2 Canon T3is .mov files. The Multicamera playback is extremely choppy and impossible to use. I am a beginner. Is there something I should be doing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Julian O

Get a much faster computer. A Core2Duo and a single disk is not going to cut it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to Julian O

Adobe's MINimums http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

This message has a really good graphic about requirements

- http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750

More about Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/618058

Disk Configurations http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878419

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Julian O

Firewire 800 may reach a sustained transfer rate of around 50-60 MB/s in the best case. Two streams of AVCHD/T3is material is enough to choke it to death. Then add the really poor CPU, which is way overpowered with the complexity of the codec, and you end up with two serious threats. Typically such a system is 50 times slower than a fast system, maybe even 75 times. That explains the choppiness you experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Firewire 800 may reach a sustained transfer rate of around 50-60 MB/s in the best case. Two streams of AVCHD/T3is material is enough to choke it to death.

Hardly.  AVCHD runs at a nominal 24 Mb/s, which translates to 4 or 5 MB/s with overhead.  It's roughly the same rate rate as DV.  (Not sure why you still don't grasp that.)

Even if the T3i doubles that to 50 Mb/s, you're still only at about 20 MB/s read for two streams.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

(Not sure why you still don't grasp that.)

Probably the same reason that you still don't grasp that your argument is way too simple and disregards all the other disk accesses required.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Probably the same reason that you still don't grasp that your argument is way too simple and disregards all the other disk accesses required.

No, that's not it  That's neither true nor does it explain why you don't get that AVCHD, HDV and DV all have roughly the same data rate.  Each will tax the CPU differently, but the data rates for all three are the same, and each will tax the hard drive equally.

Run some tests, you'll see.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

That confirms it: You are looking at it way to simple.

Say a 6 camera multicam sequence. 6 original streams to read PLUS the media cache files and media cache database pointers, the conformed audio and peak files to access, the editing of in and out points of the various cameras in the project file, the loading of the various .dll and .prm files for the effects and transitions used, and at the same time the OS maintaining event logs, updating file access stamps, indexes etc. Add to that the use of the pagefile, the swapping from memory to disk and vice versa and add in other processes and services running, some of which are constantly accessing disks and take into consideration the half-duplex nature of SATA disks and it is a different story.

Your argument is correct with regards to raw data rate, but very limited in scope for editing and practical use, as I have tried to explain to you numerous times. Either I'm very bad at explaining things, or you are stubborn.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points