Skip navigation
TomLHuffman
Currently Being Moderated

Full range Blu-ray

Nov 16, 2012 2:02 PM

I have a specialized need to burn a Blu-ray disc at 0-255 range rather than the standard 16-235. Will premiere allow me to do this?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to TomLHuffman

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to TomLHuffman

16-235 is a typical NTSC luma range. PAL always uses 0-255 luma range. But that may prove difficult with the FPS you require.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to TomLHuffman

I'm not sure a 0-255 luma range is even legal for NTSC BD. Look that up in the Wiki, but I have my doubts.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

as far as I know Bluray NTSC nor PAL profiles will use full range for AVC-1 encoding...

(and there is no setup option in Adobe Media Encoder for that)

but you can setup the Bluray players output to fullrange RGB at least on the better ones...

it's a very uncommon need to encode a full range 8Bit signal - can you explain why you need this?

If you are looking for high quality a 10Bit video system could do the job?

nw42

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to TomLHuffman

You could use x264 as the encoder, with the --fullrange switch. If you don't want to go through the hassle of doing the command line script, you can use it through MeGUI, but you will also have to learn how to use it, though it's not difficult.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Hi Tom,

I am creating a disc that people can use to calibrate their displays to the proper levels...

ok - I understand... complex thing because there are so many devices included that can alter the signal...

1. If I have to send a testpattern for calibration to da display I use a PC or a Mediaplayer in Photo-Mode propperly configured to output full range signals.

(Would be realy helpful to use something like a BMD Ultrascope to check the signals at HDMI level)

2. In a typical home cinema env. you have to consider:

a) Bluray player - is it configured to output fullrange? Even if you get managed to author a AVC-1 video stream containing full range signals - how will the decoder of the bluray player deal with this??

b) Routing the signal through AV receiver - is it altering the signal levels??

c) TV - how is the input configured - are there filters active to "improve" image quality - or to say the truth: is there anything active in your TV to destroy the carefully mastered video signal??

--> The 4:2:0 scan raster of a Bluray AVC-1 stream in general is't the best way to store test patterns at all... so a data mode disk with some PNG's are the better choice??

What do you think?

@ Sebasvideo: No problem to encode a full range AVC-1 stream but how to author a standard conform Bluray containing the full range signal if the standard doesn't support it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 4:22 AM   in reply to TomLHuffman

Hi Tom,

I would author a normal video bluray with Adobe Encore - add some instruction videos and background how to's via sub menus and finaly put the testpattern onto a extra computer data partition of the bluray (you can add this in Encore to your project easily)

But you have to tell people how to check the Bluray players video output setup and all the like on the video bluray part of the disk...

nw42

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points