Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Add Border to Images - Help Please

Mar 4, 2008 2:09 PM

I have searched all over and I CAN'T BELIEVE there isn't an easy way to add a simple border to pictures. Not a pattern, but a simple border like a 1 pixel all around color that goes on the inside, so it is a simple one step process. It seems that you have to make the canvas bigger or draw lines.

WHY WON'T ADOBE ADD THIS FEATURE?? It seems so basic.

I tried to install the Fireworkszone extension called Picture Frame, but that didn't work for CS3.

Can anyone tell me where to get an extension or a simple way to add a border that doesn't involve several steps.

Thanks very much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2008 2:21 PM   in reply to kregg
    Maybe?

1- select bitmap

2 - not X, Y, W and H values in PI (write these down if you wish)

3 - grab rectangle tool

4 - drag out a reasonable rectangle switch to select tool (I don't
    really know if that is an essential switch)

5 - type in X Y W and H values in rectangle PI

6 - choose your stroke and fill

7 - group the rectangle and bitmap

kregg wrote:
    > I have searched all over and I CAN'T BELIEVE there isn't an easy way to add a
    > simple border to pictures. Not a pattern, but a simple border like a 1 pixel
    > all around color that goes on the inside, so it is a simple one step process.
    > It seems that you have to make the canvas bigger or draw lines.
    >
    > WHY WON'T ADOBE ADD THIS FEATURE?? It seems so basic.
    >
    > I tried to install the Fireworkszone extension called Picture Frame, but that
    > didn't work for CS3.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me where to get an extension or a simple way to add a border
    > that doesn't involve several steps.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 2:56 PM   in reply to kregg
    kregg wrote:
    > I have searched all over and I CAN'T BELIEVE there isn't an easy way to add a
    > simple border to pictures. Not a pattern, but a simple border like a 1 pixel
    > all around color that goes on the inside, so it is a simple one step process.
    > It seems that you have to make the canvas bigger or draw lines.
    >
    > WHY WON'T ADOBE ADD THIS FEATURE?? It seems so basic.
    >
    > I tried to install the Fireworkszone extension called Picture Frame, but that
    > didn't work for CS3.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me where to get an extension or a simple way to add a border
    > that doesn't involve several steps.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    Select image

Go to the P.I. and choose Add Filter > Photoshop Live Filters > and
    choose Stroke.

--
    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
    http://www.communityMX.com/
    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
    ---
    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
    Adobe Community Expert
    http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
    ---
    See my work on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 4:18 PM   in reply to kregg
    I wonder whatever happened to Image Edger Pro by the folks at Phireworx.
    I don't see it listed on their site anymore (nor the Exchange either).
    You could add a one pixel border to images in batch mode. Select a
    directory, select a destination directory, set parameters (roundness,
    size, color) and watch it go.

Alex

Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
    > kregg wrote:
    >> I have searched all over and I CAN'T BELIEVE there isn't an easy way
    >> to add a simple border to pictures. Not a pattern, but a simple
    >> border like a 1 pixel all around color that goes on the inside, so it
    >> is a simple one step process. It seems that you have to make the
    >> canvas bigger or draw lines.
    >>
    >> WHY WON'T ADOBE ADD THIS FEATURE?? It seems so basic.
    >>
    >> I tried to install the Fireworkszone extension called Picture Frame,
    >> but that didn't work for CS3.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me where to get an extension or a simple way to add a
    >> border that doesn't involve several steps.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >>
    > Select image
    >
    > Go to the P.I. and choose Add Filter > Photoshop Live Filters > and
    > choose Stroke.
    >
    >
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 6:05 PM   in reply to kregg
    >I have searched all over and I CAN'T BELIEVE there isn't an easy way to add
    >a
    > simple border to pictures. Not a pattern, but a simple border like a 1
    > pixel
    > all around color that goes on the inside,

In a webpage, you can do this without Fireworks by adding "img { border: 1px
    #000 solid; }" to your stylesheet.

That affects all images on the page.

Or you can target specific images via classes or ids.

--
    Regards

John Waller

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:32 AM   in reply to Newsgroup_User

Jim,

Sorry to ask what is probably an obvious question, but what is "the P.I." you refer to you in your reply above regarding adding a border to an image? I just need to add a 1 pixel border around images for our email newsletter, but don't see an easy way to do that in Fireworks (I don't have Photoshop installed on my machine).

Thanks,

Amy B.

The Jackson Laboratory

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 11:59 AM   in reply to jaxcomm

In Fireworks, it's the Properties Inspector, or the Properties panel at the bottom of the workspace.

Hmm. My CS3 won't let me add a border to an image, only to vector shapes. The easy cheat, though, is to increase the size of the canvas by two pixels in each dimension and set the canvas color to your desired border color.

Alternatively, you could create a rectangle that is 2-pixels wider and taller than your image, move it behind your image, and (optionally) group the two objects. If you select the image, the Info panel will show you its dimensions. Make a rectangle, then adjust the dimensions and position of the rectangle with the Info panel (much easier than trying to drag your mouse precisely). Move one of the objects in the layer stack so that the rectangle is behind the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 12:11 PM   in reply to pixlor

Oh, riiiiight! Lol Funny how the simplest things can just be so out of reach sometimes. Thanks for the decoding! 

I tried doing the rectangle behind the image thing, on a separate layer even, but I couldn't get the image centered in that rectangle, for some reason. Same thing with the canvas color - couldn't figure out how to center the image. Every time I tried it manually, it just didn't look right. And I couldn't find a "center" command. Any hints on that?

I've got CS4, btw.

What I ended up doing, was using another suggestion, maybe from this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/326382#326382

"You can also do it by going to Commands > Creative > Add Picture Frame. Set the frame width to what you want, and ignore the pattern. Once the frame has been added, unlock the layer and change the fill from pattern to solid. Nice thing about this is you have an editable vector path to work with and it won't crop into your image. FW just adds to the canvas automatically, based on the border width you have chosen."

Worked pretty well.

Again, thanks for your input,

Amy

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 12:37 PM   in reply to jaxcomm

Hi Amy:

Thank you Lorraine for clarifying my abbreviation. I tend to do that when I am responding quickly to a post. The process I described in the previous post was for using the Stroke Live Filter from within the Photoshop LIve Effects. Other than the picture frame command, it's about the only other easy way I know of.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 1:31 PM   in reply to Jim_Babbage

Jim: Sure. I'm a pretty good decoder.

Amy:

To center two objects, select both objects and go to menu Modify > Align > Center Vertical and Modify > Align > Center Horizontal.

To center something in the canvas, I think you just need to do the math from the pixel heights and widths of the image and the object. If it's the only object on the canvas, you can first use menu Modify > Canvas > Fit Canvas (to make the canvas the same size as the object). Then Modify > Canvas > Canvas Size, add double the number of pixels you want for a border (half for each side) and make sure the Anchor is in the center. For instance if you want a 3-pixel border, add 6 pixels to both the canvas height and width. With the Anchor in the center you'd get 3 pixels each on top, bottom, right, and left.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)