Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you remove lines on a form?

Nov 16, 2012 10:45 PM

I scanned in a form using Acrobat 11 Pro on Windows and would like to remove some horizontal rather widely spaced black lines that were ment to be written on. I can find no way to do it yet. I would like to have the area clear of lines so text can be entered in the area at a different line spacing for the area originally designed to be filled in by hand.

I tried various things but it seems like the program doesn't recognize the lines as images or objects.

Thanks

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,651 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 16, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to WCarp

You can use the readaction tool: Tools > Protection > Mark for Redaction

and then apply the redaction(s): Tools > Protection > Apply Redactions

It might default to a black redaction area, but you can change this to transparent or white: Tools > Protection > Redaction Properties > Redacted Area Fill Color

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,651 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 17, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to WCarp

Whenever you do redactions, be sure to have a backup copy of the document so you don't accidentally overwrite the original. Since you have a backup, you can go ahead and apply the redactions and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,651 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 17, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to WCarp

I'm not sure why you can't undo it. I can on my system. You should be able to use the Select Object tool (Tools > Interactive Objects > Select Object) to select the redaction annotation and delete it. As you why you can't remove the line, I'd have to look at the document to see what can be done.

If you have an image editor such as Photoshop available, you can try editing the image there. Acrobat 11 now lets you use something other than Photoshop (even MS Paint) when editing images (Edit > Preferences > Content Editing > Image Editor). With the Tools > Content Editing > Edit Text & Images tool selected, right-click and select "Edit using".

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to WCarp

Another alternative would have been to OCR the document and work with it as a regular document with text, not a graphic. For the graphic scan, the simplest modification is in a graphics editor as already suggested, not in Acrobat. Acrobat was never designed for editing and it seems you are expecting it to do such for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 2:38 AM   in reply to WCarp

Hi,

What I gathered from the original post is that you created a PDF (which was a printed form) using Acrobat's Create PDF from Scanner, which you want to edit now.

Did you scan it as an image or as plain text?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points