Skip navigation
bluellipse
Currently Being Moderated

Symbols Saved are not Appearing

Nov 16, 2012 7:47 PM

Tags: #common_library

Symbols I save from my document library to my common library are not appearing in my common library. I also try to save a graphic element as a symbol and choose "Common Library, and that's not appearing in my Common Library. Any idea why? I am using CS5.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to bluellipse

When you save from the Document Library to the Common Library (choosing ‘Save to Common Library...’ from the Document Library fly-out menu), are you observing where the symbols are being saved on your hard drive? On my current setup, the default location is a folder called ‘Custom Symbols’ within the Common Library folder that is located in my user library Application Support folder. (There's another Common Library folder located within the application folder, but that's not where the Save dialog currently points to.) Once I click ‘Save’, the symbols appear within my Common Library panel, under ‘Custom Symbols’.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to bluellipse

Have you tried clicking on the ‘Reload’ button at the bottom of the Common Library panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to bluellipse

Not sure what to suggest, but I'd check and/or try the following:

• File path. Are the symbols located within the Common Library of your user library Application Support folder? It's a little unclear from your reply, which says ‘custom library’ (not a recognized file path/folder name).
    • Quit and restart. Try quitting and restarting the application, and see if the symbols appear in the Common Library panel. If that has no effect, then try shutting down and restarting the computer.
    • New location. Try saving the custom symbols directly into the application's Common Library folder (instead of within the application support folder), and see if that works.

If none of this helps, keep in mind that you can always export symbols from the Document Library into a Libraries folder, or import symbols directly from other documents, without involving the Common Library.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points