Skip navigation
schoolofhardknocks
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Back-Up Catalogue-Low Disk Space

Nov 16, 2012 7:52 PM

Tags: #low #catalogues #back-up #disk_space

Elements 9. I get a low disk space-free up space message. I have had this happen enough to know that it is a problem with my "C" Drive, not my destination drive with 3TB. My "C" drive is 2TB and I have lots of media. I would like to know how I transfer all my media to an external drive and easily link the catalogue with the new drive without major problems. I prefer not to manually reconnect 25,000 files!!

Thanks for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to schoolofhardknocks

The safest and simpler way to move all pictures to a new drive is to do a full backup on an external media, then a restore to the final drive (backup and restore from the organizer, not an external tool).

Even if it takes time, you don't need to be there in most of the backup/restore phases.

- you get a backup (always a good thing)

- you check the new catalog to see if everyting is right

- you can then open the old catalog and delete all media files

You could also move files from the folder view in the left panel of the organizer, highlighting folders and dragging and dropping them on the destination drive.

I would not advise reconnecting unless you have PSE11.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 1:36 AM   in reply to schoolofhardknocks

schoolofhardknocks wrote:

Thanks, but right now I can't do a back-up because I keep getting an error message that my drive is too full, and it must mean my C drive because my external has plenty of room.

Do you get the message when in editor, in organizer or both ?

Which operating system ? I suppose Windows : XP, Vista or Win 7 32 or 64bits ?

From the explorer, when you right click on C: to show properties, how much free space is shown ?

Now, when in the editor, look at the preferences/ performance. What is shown in the scratch disk box for C: ?

Not sure I am able to guide you from there, but I am sure Windows experts can help you with that info.

Yes, no problem about your second question : moving from within the organizer in folder view keeps the right drive/path correctly.

Another question : what is PGT  ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

About disk space and big drives, this post might be interesting:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1100115?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to schoolofhardknocks

Hey,

Is this error consistent even on changing destination drive? That is try changing your destination drive (to C:\ drive, any other system drive, external drive, CD/DVD drive or network drive)?

Also is this error catalog specific? For this create a new test catalog with some images (lets say 5) and try to take full backup.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points