Skip navigation
Bigbear1935
Currently Being Moderated

How do I change the sort order of folders or catalogs

Nov 16, 2012 10:53 PM

how do I change the sort order of the catalogs or folders?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to Bigbear1935

Which PSE version ?

The general rule before PSE11 is to use the display button to select either Thumbnail view, Import batch or Folder location. In folder location, the files are shown in alphanumerical order, in the others by date (you can choose ascending or descending in the line immediately under the display button).

In PSE11, only date view is available.

In any case, you can put the files you want to sort in an album : there you can manually order the files by moving them in the workspace.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

I think the original poster may be asking about the order of the folders themselves, rather than the order of the files within the folders.

This is what I am interested in too. In the "my folders" list on the left hand side of PSE11 Organiser, I have a bunch of folders listed.

I have given the folders names like:

2012.10.31 Party

2012.12.01 Weekend Trip

...etc

They seem to be sorted so that the folders with the oldest date (in their folder name) are listed at the top. I would like to reverse the order so that folders with the most recent date in their name appear at the top of the folder list (reverse name sort).

Is this possible?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to osm999

osm999 wrote:

They seem to be sorted so that the folders with the oldest date (in their folder name) are listed at the top. I would like to reverse the order so that folders with the most recent date in their name appear at the top of the folder list (reverse name sort).

Is this possible?

No, the sort order of the folders in the left panel is only alphanumeric.

But if you are working in thumbnail view 'All Media' in PSE11, you can choose to show your pictures in ascending or descending chronological order.

You can even choose a funny option in the preferences/general menu: for the sort 'by newest', which is the most used one, you can choose the order within one day. Ascending or descending within one day. The default 'Oldest first within one day' is pretty good when you want to create albums or other creations for a recent event.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Thanks for the reply,

Alphanumeric display order for the folder list is fine (I am not asking for true chronological sort). But I want to be able to list folders in descending name order instead of ascending name order (because I base the folder name on the event date).

I don't really like the All Media view because I prefer having photos segregated into events.

Message was edited by: osm999

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points