Skip navigation
apple4orange
Currently Being Moderated

No selection dialog when copying shape from Illustrator to Photoshop!

Nov 17, 2012 5:34 AM

Tags: #copy_illustrator_photoshop

Hi everybody,

I try to copy+paste a shape from Illustrator CS5 to Photoshop CS5 (Windows). My goal is to recieve a shape layer I can use in photoshop. But it just copies it as a VectorSmartObject and I can't convert it to a shape layer. I read, that "normaly" or at least in the Mac version a dialog box should appear, which let's you choose how you want to paste it in ( SmartObject/ShapeLayer/...). This doesn't happen. Is thia bug? Can it be fixed? And is there a workaround?

Thanks for your responses.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to apple4orange

What are your Illustrator > Preferences > File Handling … settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to apple4orange

What version of windows are you using?

Do you mean in photoshop, if you use Edit>Paste, you don't get a dialog, but it just pastes as a vector smart object?

Are you actually using copy and paste or dragging the shape from illustrator to photoshop?

Is this something you created in illustrator or an pixel based document you placed into illustrator and worked on?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to apple4orange

As R. Kelly said, if it's based on pixel artwork and you e.g. created a clipping mask, the behavior would be normal. Only released paths can be inserted as shape layers. Other than that you might check the appearnce of the object in Illustrator. Certain effects and tools cause flattening and then likewise, pixel data for them is produced that can only be inserted as an SO.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points