Skip navigation
daviess556
Currently Being Moderated

PSD/PSE file types & size.....

Nov 17, 2012 4:50 AM

Using the guided edit in Elements 9, I corrected a 1.8MB image for keystone distortion and when I saved the image, for some reason it saved as a PSD/PSE type file and also 'grew' from the original size to an enormous 82MB!! Similarly, when I converted an image to 'old style photo..vivid', it again saved as a PSD/PSE file and grew to 95MB!! Can you tell me what is happening here and more importantly, how to prevent it, as I can't use these massive file types for anything?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to daviess556

I'm guessing the original photo was a jpeg?

The psd file format uses little compression (depending on what's in the file), where as the jpeg file format uses a fair amount of compression depending on the quality setting and

that's the difference in file sizes your seeing. Plus, if you have more than one layer, that will add to the file size of psd files.

If you think you might be editing the photo some more you could try the Tiff format with LZW compression. (no data is lost)

If your done with the photo, you could save as a jpeg with a quality of about 10.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points