Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Create without hassle tutorials??

Nov 17, 2012 7:04 AM

Hey everyone i tried reading about small tutorials from user interfaces of creating a portfolio lightbox page. Although are they a way where you can create a lightbox page for your portfolio site from scratch. without having to donate to other users and without having to use dreamweaver widgets. i think it is the be best for me at least. i like to learn how to create a lightbox page for my portfolio web page from scratch. Please let me know if its possible how?!

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to TonyMancuso

Just download a script and implement then.

Fancybox - http://fancyapps.com/fancybox/

Lightbox - http://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

Fancybox is a little more advanced because it's still actively developed.  It's only a paid solution if you are using it for commercial use.  Instructions are pretty straightforward too.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to TonyMancuso

There's little to be gained from re-inventing the wheel.   Unless you're highly skilled with jQuery / JavaScript & CSS, it will take you considerably more time than it's worth to develop a widget from scratch.  Even if you get it working right away, you'll still need to test & debug to ensure it works in ALL the different browsers/web devices (past & present).  Are you really up for that?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to TonyMancuso

If you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn, that's fine. However, I remember being in a similar situation about 10 years ago. I didn't want to pay for someone else's script, and wasted three days trying to build a menu that took me only a few minutes once I finally decided to fork out the price being asked.

As for good books on jQuery, I think the best is jQuery in Action, 2nd Edition by Bear Bibeault and Yehuda Katz. It's a couple of years old, but it's very solid. I haven't used David MacFarland's JavaScript and jQuery: The Missing Manual, but it's also said to be very good.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to David_Powers

I haven't used David MacFarland's JavaScript and jQuery: The Missing Manual, but it's also said to be very good.

I have, and it's quite good.  It continues McFarland's conversational and semi-folksy attitude combined with his dry humor and is quite readable.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to TonyMancuso

Hi

What David says is very true, one must measure the amount of time required with the benefits gained, and seriously think about any 'hidden' costs involved.

As an example I am currently writing a css animations driven 3d carousel for images and 'static' svg, which when an image/svg is click upon from the carousel it opens a larger image or an animated svg in a lightbox, (also css animations driven) but so far I have spent over 24hrs on the projects. So if this was for a small budget 'time limited' commercial project, it would not be cost effective, and I should simply use one of the many scripts available for free, (most jQuery or even Spry lightboxes are free).

Admittedly my solution is only 2kb in size, (not counting the images/svg) and all jQuery, (and most other javascript based solutions) are well over 50kb, and do not support svg, but then mine will not work in any browser that does not support css animations!!!

So why am I doing this?

Easy, I gain experience in working with css animations, develop best practices, and can explore fall-back solutions for none supporting css animation browsers, (or just 'dump' them, because as it is mainly for svg I have the option). I will also have a working best solution for mobile/tablet devices once it is finished, (estimated time required = approx another 40hrs) and it is what I have been asked to do.

But would you, (or anyone else) be willing to spend one and a half weeks, developing, testing and debugging, in not just desktop browsers but in 3 or 4 different tablet devices, (add the cost of these to your time) for nothing?

In 5-6 years 99% of browsers in use will support css animations and svg, so to add to your willingness to learn javascript, remember that what you learn now regarding lighboxes, may not be relevant to requirements in the future, when css animations/transitions/transforms can replace many javascript effects, including menus/accordions/tabs.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to TonyMancuso

AnthonyMancuso wrote:

i guess im going to start from scratch by looking up beginners tutorials, that are free as i google them, none that you have pay for or donate lol ,

Maybe I'm oversensitive to this sort of comment because I make my living by writing books and teaching web development professionally.

There is nothing wrong in searching the internet for free information. It's a fabulous resource. But remember, you get what you pay for. There is a lot of bad information out there. Many online tutorials are hopelessly out of date. This is a serious problem with JavaScript, because coding practices and techniques have changed radically in recent years, and they're continuing to change.

Even if you're not currently working, I'm sure you'll expect to be paid for what you do. So why begrudge paying others for their hard work?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points