Skip navigation
OhPinchy
Currently Being Moderated

Set export folder based on Collection name?

Nov 17, 2012 9:52 AM

I'd like to be able to setup an export preset that would save the selected photos to a subfolder within my export folder with the name of the subfolder automatically set to match the collection (or collection set) name. Is this possible?  I have tried looking at the custom folder name options but couldn't quite see how to do this so any help is appreciated.

So, if my parent export folder is say c:\Photos\Exports and my collection name is 'Summer2012', I'd like for it to automatically export any photos in that collection to c:\Photos\Exports\Summer2012. Is this possible or do I need to set it manually each time?

Reason I'd like to automate this is say I'm in a rush to post up the pics, I might go ahead and export them without editing much and then manually cut and paste them from c:\Photos\Exports into a Summer2012 folder. If I later make edits to the photos, it'd be much handier to just use a preset export knowing that they would automatically update the files in the Summer2012 folder, rather than having to do another manual cut and paste every time, or manually select the folder if choosing the 'Choose folder later' option. Is there another way to do to what I'm looking for? Thanks.

Replies
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 17, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to OhPinchy

How about using a Hard Drive Publish Service?  The collection names would then replicate to the Export folders when you Publish them.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 12:11 AM   in reply to OhPinchy

OhPinchy wrote:

Thanks Richard. That tool looks handy, though it seems that you need to manually recreate the collections structure in it - not a major issue as you just need to do it once off, but before I go down that route I just want to confirm if there is an option to do it dynamically/automatically?

Unfortunately, there is neither an automatic or dynamic method built into Lr. I'm not even sure that the plugin SDK supports either otherwise Jeffrey (the author of the plugin you're looking at) would have incorporated the feature.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 18, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to OhPinchy

The Hard Drive Publish Service - hmmmm, yes, I was thinking you could Alt-drag the collections down to the hard drive service in one go, but it doesn't look like that works.  So near and yet so far!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to OhPinchy

OhPinchy wrote:

I'd like to be able to setup an export preset that would save the selected photos to a subfolder within my export folder with the name of the subfolder automatically set to match the collection (or collection set) name. Is this possible?

Yes - this is possible (via plugin), subject to some constraints.

ExportNamer is customizable, and comes pre-configured with a preset that will insert catalog name as export subfolder. This could easily be modified to insert collection name or set instead of catalog name. But:

A. If you were to do it, you'd need to modify a lua text configuration file.

B. If I were to do it, I'd need to know you were really going to use it. (lots of people say they want things, but they really don't want them bad enough to use a work-around plugin to get them...).

Disclaimer: ExportNamer is a kinda quirky plugin, due to limitations in the SDK. That said, it would be easy to modify to do exactly what you want. Try it first with the "Catalog as Subfolder" preset, to see if you are inclined to take the next step...

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points