Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Two annoyances about rendering for preview

Nov 17, 2012 2:35 PM

I wonder if there is something I don't know about these two things that are fairly annoying to me when using Premiere all the time.

1) Rendering anything for previewing at normal speed when there are non-real time effects applied requires setting a start and an end to the work area, which involves either a few mouse movements or keystrokes, not terrible but way more than other NLEs. In Edius for example, it's as easy as clicking on the clip to be rendered, pressing Shift+G (or whatever shortcut you assigned) and then it's rendering. In Vegas there's also a work area, but it's as easy as dragging the mouse pointer over the wanted area while keeping the mouse button down. In Premiere, even if you set the work area IN and OUT shortcuts to [ and ] like I did, you still have to go to the beginning of the clip, press [, then go to the end and press ] to set the range. When this is done several times a day it becomes annoying.

2) In most NLEs, whatever the work area was set to be, if the preview rendering is stopped at some point, the rendered frames stay rendered. Even in the classic FCP (which sucks in so many ways compared to Premiere), each frame that was rendered stays rendered even if I cancel the rendering mid way, but in Premiere if I do the same I lose everything, which is absurd because the preview rendering format always has only I frames, and even if it had any P or B frames it could just cut at the end of the last completed GOP.

So are these two things just design flaws in Premiere, or have I missed something?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

For the WAB (Work Area Bar), have you tried setting its In & Out Points with the [ and ] keys at the location of the CTI/Play Head? (Do not think that has been changed?)

As far back as I can remember, PrPro will retain Rendered Clips, but do not ever recall it keeping Rendered Frames. Sounds like a good candidate for a Feature Request: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878528?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

1.  You don't have to set either In/Out points or the WAB.  Just hit Enter and any unrendered sections will be rendered.

2.  Fully rendered clips will stay rendered when you hit cancel.  Unfinished clips will lose the render.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 8:06 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Got you. For that operation, perhaps a Feature Request is in order.

Also, as Jim points out, if the rest of the Clips are Rendered, only the altered one will need Rendering.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

I'll have to check that out. Historically, only the Frames, where the Transition was added, became un-Rendered. This would be new, and I would agree, not necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Let's suppose I added whatever filter to a clip that is not MPE accelerated, I have to press...

If you leave the WAB alone (beginning/end of sequence), you can just hit the Enter key.  It'll render.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

OK. Select the clip and hit Shift+/.  That'll set both In/Out points around that clip at once.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Sebasvideo wrote:

I don't understand. That, like you said, selects In and Out points. To render a preview you need to set a work area.

You can turn off the work area bar, it's an option in the sequence panel controls. You're then given different options for how to set your render, including "Render in to out". You can customise a keyboard shortcut for that. Then Shift+/ followed by your Render in to out shortcut, and you've reduced the keystrokes to render a clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 1:41 AM   in reply to SimonHy

I've got a 10 minute sequence which takes about 20 minutes to render.
    if I change a few frames, shorted a clip in a layer or something like that, random parts of the sequence (unrelated to a simple change I've just made), become unrendered.

WTF is that?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

a way to solve the other two

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

(Does this now make me King James?)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

No problem, glad to help. Yeah.. there's nothing that can be achieved with the Work Area Bar that I wouldn't rather just use in and out for. It seems like a hang over from a more compositing orientated workflow than an NLE.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to SimonHy

Regarding having to re-render two clips when the adjoing transition was removed.

I have seen this behavior, but generally only when I applied a complex third party effect (e..g, Boris FX) that had keyframes.  I suspect that this may be due too the change in length in the clips.  As I understand it, when your render two clips with a transition, you end up with three clips: the first clip less the transition, the area under the transition, and the second clip less the transition.  Take the transition out and you now have two rendered clips.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points