Skip navigation
Hunter101T
Currently Being Moderated

Complex path problem and how to.

Nov 17, 2012 12:17 PM

Hi guys I have 2 questions:

First one: When ever I try to make the All Ages font 3D It says 'Could not complete the command Path is too complex' something like that. So How can I fix it.

Second one: Is there a way I can Load selection and use the rectangular marquee tool in photoshop CS6? I triend holding shift then doing it but no luck. Any Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Hunter101T

1. There's a bug that causes Photoshop to reject a triangular path for extrusion. Does your text contain a triangle as either the outside of a character or a hole in a character (perhaps an 'A')? If it does, I should be able to provide a workaround.

2. Holding down shift certainly should add a rectangular marquee to an already loaded selection. Is the Feather value in the Options bar greater than 0 and causing a relatively small additional selection not to visibly change the marching ants?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 1:29 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

First one: When ever I try to make the All Ages font 3D It says 'Could not complete the command Path is too complex' something like that. So How can I fix it.

Probably not at all. These kind of grungy fonts cna have all sorts of "bad" shapes like self-intersecting paths or overlapping paths from different sub-shapes. They're a nightmare for any 3D. It might be easier to create your text layer, rasterize it and load the resulting transparency as a selection. If you do that at a large enough resolution it may work. Other than that the only alternative would be to create the text as paths and clean up/ simplify them...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

I installed a non-commercial usage demo of the font and, as Mylenium said, there are problematic paths in some characters (some do extrude without amendment, 'c' for example) and even if paths are OK, one of the many little holes in a character could be a triangle and will result in a Photoshop failure to extrude.

Still, the letters you need may be made usable. Here's the 'a' converted to Shape as an example. It has a segment overlapping a connected segment. It does extrude after nudging one anchor as shown below.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 12.54.57.png

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 12.48.09.png

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 12.48.44.png

If there is a triangle, either put a slight curvature at a corner or add an anchor to a segment and nudge out of alignment. Here is an example of an extrudable path created from a triangle with each method.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 13.10.45.png

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 13.12.51.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

Second one: Is there a way I can Load selection and use the rectangular marquee tool in photoshop CS6? I triend holding shift then doing it but no luck. Any Ideas?

I see no issues with this.

Shift-click-dragging with the Rectangular Marquee Tool adds to the Selection, so if the area is already selected no change would become apparent.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

How did you do the animation?

If it’s just two Layers in a Timeline Animation then Clipping Masking (Layer > Create Clipping Mask) the top Layer to the one Below should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

So it’s a Frame Animation.

Still, Clipping Masking should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

Is the text on a Layer of its own?

Could you post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

Ah, then the Pattern Overlay covers the Clipping Masked Layer?

As work-arounds you could insert a Pattern Layer between the text and the moving layers instead of using a Pattern Overlay or convert the Text Layer (with its Pattern Overlay) to a Smart Object.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Hunter101T

In case you are not familiar with Smart Objects: To edit the text or the pattern you can alwas open, edit and save the Smart Object.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points