Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Serious frustration over constant crashing of InDesign CS6

Nov 17, 2012 11:54 PM

Hi everyone

I am seriously beyond frustrated over constant crashing from InDesign CS6. If InDesign is a person, I would have slammed its face into the wall by now. Just these two days, while working on a 160 pages document, Indesign has crashed more than 20 times and everytime it does, the crash report is too large to post to pastebin.

Basically, when I reflow text, it crashed. When I tried generating TOC it crashed. While inserting new cross references, I mis-clicked and clicked on "update" instead and it crashed. When I deleted one page, it crashed. When I deleted one textbox, it crashed. I can't seem to stop it from crashing. I'm really really frustrated coz there's no one or place I can take the damn document to so that I can some answers from someone why it crashes soooo frequently. I did another document, which was around the same size, it was fine. No drama. Why this is different?

Is it because I have a running headers? So everytime I do something, it will update and then crash? Can I stop running headers from updating automatically? Can I set it to update manually?

I'm soooooooooooooooo over it. I can't seem to figure out the crashing problem. I have turned off Smart Flow thinking that it was what causing it. Still the same thing.

I'm running OSX Mountain Lion with SF4.

I'm sure it will crash again. I might have to post a pdf doc of the crash report.

Any idea will be appreciated

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to MangaGal1981

I’m no expert in these things but I’m guessing a bad font.

Remove the fonts you’re using from your system and then reopen the file. Substitute it with something else and then try again.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to MangaGal1981

OK, that's a hang, not a crash, which means the program is stuck trying to do something, and the reports are very difficult to read. John Hawkinson has supplied some information on how to conver the hang into a real crash which is easier to interpret, and you'll find them at Adobe Forums: InDesign CS5.5 Not Responding

This might be related to running headers, but it's more likely to be related to cross-references if you are using them. Can you tell us something about the document and the structure?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ack! I was so busy looking at the rest of it I missed that part.

See? Told you I was no expert in these.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 6:54 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

It could very well be a font.....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to MangaGal1981

You need to test the font out first. Remove it from the system and if the hangs stop you know that's the cause.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to MangaGal1981

It really would help, too, if you did the steps recommended inthe link above to genereate the additional crash report.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points