Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why do audio files-from pasted or imported clips- fail & change to brown when I reopen a project?

Nov 17, 2012 9:31 PM

Tags: #audio #premiere #import #cs6 #project

Hello,

I'm new to Premiere as a whole and have been having difficulty moving clips from one project to another. When I cut and paste and when I use the Import tool to import a project or timeline, everything appears normal until I close and reopen the project. When I do that, the audio files from any clips transferred this way are missing; they are now brown rather than the default blue on the timeline and while their path is available, the audio peaks are completely flat.

This is a very troubling error, because you can do a lot of work after importing these clips only to start up Premiere the next day and find that your audio is missing. All of the video from the imported or pasted clips is there, so why can't it sort out the audio?

Most of these audio files are .mts AVCHD files from a Sony FS100, but recently this error also happened to a clip I edited in Audition, so this isn't just a problem Premiere has syncing up AVCHD audio.

I'm using Premiere CS6 6.0.3 on Windows 7 Professional.

Thank you for any support you can provide.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Sean Lindsay

Sean,

For many versions of PrPro, the Copy/Paste can fritz up the Audio. Usually, it will work fine, though not always.

When it does not, the normal suggestion is to Select the faulting Clip, place the CTI/Play Head over it, and use Match Frame. That normally returns the Audio to the state it was in, at the Copy operation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to Sean Lindsay

Sean,

I wonder if the Render/Replace will get you what you need?

If the Audio & Video are linked, Alt+click on the Audio Clip, then Rt-click on it, and choose Render/Replace.

Please let us know if that helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Sean Lindsay

Those + and - figures are the number of Frames, that the Audio and Video differ from 0 (sync), for muxed files, i.e. files containing both an Audio and Video Stream.

Glad that it worked - finally.

When I first encountered the issue, it came about long after the Copy/Paste operation. Initially, that seemed to work fine. I had read that others had experienced issues with Copy/Paste, but I thought that I was "home free." I edited most of a morning, Rendering often, as I was doing a lot of Pan & Zoom animations. Still working fine. At one Render (just like the dozen, or so before), all Audio went "flat-line." In my case, I just manually Re-linked the Audio, but someone (Jeff Bellune, IIRC), pointed out the Match Frame operation. Next time that it happened, his suggestion worked fine, and saved me time. Why things worked for so long, in my case, then suddenly fritzed up, I cannot imagine.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points