I'm new to Premiere as a whole and have been having difficulty moving clips from one project to another. When I cut and paste and when I use the Import tool to import a project or timeline, everything appears normal until I close and reopen the project. When I do that, the audio files from any clips transferred this way are missing; they are now brown rather than the default blue on the timeline and while their path is available, the audio peaks are completely flat.
This is a very troubling error, because you can do a lot of work after importing these clips only to start up Premiere the next day and find that your audio is missing. All of the video from the imported or pasted clips is there, so why can't it sort out the audio?
Most of these audio files are .mts AVCHD files from a Sony FS100, but recently this error also happened to a clip I edited in Audition, so this isn't just a problem Premiere has syncing up AVCHD audio.
I'm using Premiere CS6 6.0.3 on Windows 7 Professional.
Thank you for any support you can provide.
For many versions of PrPro, the Copy/Paste can fritz up the Audio. Usually, it will work fine, though not always.
When it does not, the normal suggestion is to Select the faulting Clip, place the CTI/Play Head over it, and use Match Frame. That normally returns the Audio to the state it was in, at the Copy operation.
Thank you for the tip about Match Frame. That, at least, opens up the video clip Source with the audio attached to it. It does not, unfortunately, make any change to the timeline itself. I'd consider my problem solved with this workaround, but I can't seem to drag the source video on to the timeline. It has the in/out points in the source window marked exactly where they are in my project after running the Match Frame command, but when I drag it over, I get a tiny piece of video (not the correct piece) on top of the source audio for the entire piece of media. I will probably end up sourcing each clip from scratch again, but considering I have two synced camera angles, it means I have a lot of work re-sourcing and re-syncing the video piece by piece.
This seems to have something to do with the procedure Premiere uses to duplicate every piece of audio when you import media into a project. I'm really not sure why it does that either, but I can't really see any other reason why the video that was copy&pasted or imported is there and the audio is missing.
I wonder if the Render/Replace will get you what you need?
If the Audio & Video are linked, Alt+click on the Audio Clip, then Rt-click on it, and choose Render/Replace.
Please let us know if that helps.
I had manually replaced the files I required, but I'm just looking at the project again and on a different clip suffering from the same problem, I tried your suggestion to re-link the audio, select the audio only, right click and select "Replace with Clip". The first two times I tried it, it ended up with a price-tag shaped label in the corner of the media (both audio and video) with a +2.12 or -2.48, but the third time I did it, it synced up. (I can't really say what I did differently the third time than the first two.)
I really appreciate your feedback and advice with this. Now that I know I can restore this particular type of error, I will continue working with Premiere. (If there wasn't a fix, I couldn't justify redoing all of that work over again at random intervals, never quite knowing when it was going to happen.)
Thank you for sharing your expertise.
Those + and - figures are the number of Frames, that the Audio and Video differ from 0 (sync), for muxed files, i.e. files containing both an Audio and Video Stream.
Glad that it worked - finally.
When I first encountered the issue, it came about long after the Copy/Paste operation. Initially, that seemed to work fine. I had read that others had experienced issues with Copy/Paste, but I thought that I was "home free." I edited most of a morning, Rendering often, as I was doing a lot of Pan & Zoom animations. Still working fine. At one Render (just like the dozen, or so before), all Audio went "flat-line." In my case, I just manually Re-linked the Audio, but someone (Jeff Bellune, IIRC), pointed out the Match Frame operation. Next time that it happened, his suggestion worked fine, and saved me time. Why things worked for so long, in my case, then suddenly fritzed up, I cannot imagine.
Europe, Middle East and Africa