Skip navigation
Alex DeJesus 496 posts
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Export clips to re-import for further editing?

Nov 18, 2012 6:46 AM

Tags: #export #import #render #h264

REF to the following discussion: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4846909#4846909

Excuse  me for butting in, but this is related to my question. I, too, wanted to export at a 'matching original' format so as not to lose any quality. And noticed the same 50% quality output.

Some of the clips in my project needed denoiser applied before bringing into a sequence for editing with other clips. but they won't play in realtime, even with CUDA. I thought I might put each clip on its own sequence, apply the effects, and export out the new denoised clip to re-import. But with the matched setting, it seems the quality is noticeably degraded. I can't really tell because my monitor is not professional.

I also tried the DNxHD format, but it created huge files and poor quality video. Perplexed about that one, as I was expecting a ProRes type quality on the PC.

So, if the matched setting is not adviseable, what then is the best output format to use for HDV material to be re-imported back in for further editing? I am thinking h264 at a high data rate like 24-25 Mb/sec.  Or is that advisable at all?

And, I assume the original clips with denoiser effect (red bar) do not need to be rendered before exporting?

I have a reasonably fast PC, 32 G RAM, NVidia GTX580 Ampd! video card, i7 3.4 MHz processor, separate RAID 0 drives for footage and previews. And CS6 apps.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Alex,

You failed to mention what your original footage format is. Also, which effect are you talking about? The only denoiser in Premiere Pro is an audio effect. Are you saying that requires a render?

Sorry, but a little more info is probably required for us to assist.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Ah. I see it now. Sorry.

Well, there are a lot of people who disagree with me. However, that being said, I use the Cineform codec when I edit a serious project in Premiere Pro. By serious, I mean other people are paying for it, or I really want to show off a high quality job, or I need to do something like you are doing. I don't always bother when I am just goofing around.

Try the H.264 and see if you are happy with that. This is really up to you and your eyes to make the decision. If the H.264 is good enough, great! If not, check into Cineform

They used it on the movie Act of Valor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Along with Steven's suggestions, which are very good, you might also want to look to Lagarith Lossless, and UT Lossless, as Export CODEC's, for additional editing.

Thank you for the clarification on Denoiser. I too had assumed Audio w/ Denoiser Effect, but you mean a Video noise removal operation - totally different.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Well, a lot of people say it isn't necessary anymore. I believe that the way that the codec actually encodes the video using wavelets (insert a lot of techie gobledegook here) is beneficial to my workflow. It makes it easy to export and reimport in various programs.

I have suggested Cineform a few times lately and have received rather fierce objections. Almost to the point of ridicule. Yet, I figure if it is good enough for a major motion picture, it is probably good enough for me. I remember when we had to pay $299, so paying $129 doesn't seem excessive to me. 

I haven't researched this yet, but I think it might even solve the problem of keeping AVCHD in the original folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Alex,

I suppose it would not be helpful to suggest a different camera - one with better low light capabilities, but it might be worth considering.

Cineform will interpolate the 4:2:0 chroma to 4:2:2 and has it's own color correction tools. I imagine that will help you immensely. I used to capture directly to the Cineform codec and need to start doing that again if I ever get around to taking the HDV camera out of the bag again. If you capture to it, there is no time lost to speak of.  I am not sure if I am going to do that much after I buy my new DSLR next month, except to use as a second camera or for b-roll but you never know. If my research determines that I am sticking with Cineform after I change cameras, I will be posting the reasons here on the forum, just to let people know what I found.

And no. You don't need to render in order to export, but most people do so they can see the video in real time before exporting.

Lagarith can be found under AVI. You have to change the majority of the parameters from codec to frame size to filed order and more, but you can get there. I have never used UT so I can't help there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points