Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Crop PDF pages

Nov 18, 2012 8:16 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Community Help

I just signed up for a trial of Adobe Acrobat XI prior to purchasing it.  I think I love this product.  It was so easy to scan to a pdf file.  My question is that the paper size of the document I scanned is 8 1/2 by 11 and the scan size appears to be 8 1/2 by 14.  How do I change the pages to the proper size and eliminate the large bottom margin?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to vickijking@sbcglobal.net

You can crop the pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

Use the Crop tool. Tools > Pages > Crop. Drag out the crop area, then double-click to bring up the Crop dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

As with photoshop is there a way to crop and delete instead of only cropping and hiding the data? I would like to delete the cropped information permanently. Is there an option to do this and if not are they looking to add this option in future editions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to 123__Easy__123

Deleting information permanently (but not shrinking the page) is done with the redaction feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

You can also permanently crop using a fixup in the Preflight tool. (Tools > Print Production).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Do you happen to know what the keyboard shortcut for that dialog is in Acrobat XI Pro?  It was CtrShiftT in previous versions of Acrobat Pro, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I used it dozens of times a day in my PDF workflow and now miss it dearly.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to ecstaticdesign

The C key.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Thanks for the reply, but more specifically I'm trying to bring up the Set Page Boxes dialog.  The "C" key does not do this. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to ecstaticdesign

Use C (crop tool) to create a starting crop area. Double-click in crop area opens dialog box. Refine in the dialog box.  I use this all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'm trying to find the keyboard ONLY shortcut only to open the dialog without using the mouse. The shortcut in previous versions was Ctr+Shift+T.

For years I had became very acustomed to doing it this way because I didn't need to take my hands off the keyboard to grab my stylus pen and then try to double-click without accidentaly dragging and creating a crop box. From there I could tab through and input the box parameters manually to crop proofs and check the myriad of odd trim, bleed and artwork bounds. It's not a huge deal, but I work in a busy prepress department and I miss the speed and rhythm I developed with the keyboard only shortcut. I'm sure anybody who works with a computer a lot can appreciate how extra clicks and steps can add up over time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to ecstaticdesign

I looked in the Keyboard Shortcut section of the Acrobat XI Help PDF and I could not find a shortcut.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to ecstaticdesign

I agree with ecstatic design. Ctrl-Shift-T was much easier to use than the current method. I don't do it everyday but it was simple. It was also directly on the menu so if you forgot it (or were using it for the first time) it was easily accessible.

Acrobat XI Pro has taken a huge step backwards with the significant reduction in the menu, making it now impossible to accomplish many tasks without the use of the mouse. As for cropping or resizing pages it is now completely counter-intuitive and I have had to hunt on the internet more than once to remember how to do it. Even a slow moving mouse user might never find the Set Page Boxes dialogue.

Put it back on the top menu, Adobe, and give me my shortcut keystroke back!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to Community Help

Up front: I am a newbie and am (still) using XI Pro as a trial. That said, I do feel that matters around margins, papersize, in all the different window panels, they are a bit confusing to me. Maybe the number of questions asked on Internet regarding margins, will make Adobe to address this and make this a little bit more userfriendly.

Example: I have a document with size of 178,2 x 97,4mm (File->Print->tag Custom Scale 100&).

By default, Acrobat selects "Auto portrait/landscape" (under Orientation) and displays the print as Landscape.

If I change this to Portrait, the preview shows the text in the utmost left top corner, well into the 'grey borders'...?

Is that correct? I can't adjust the margins here.

Personally, I would like to have two print-profiles:

1. where nothing is being shrinked as long as it fits on a document with 'my margings'

(e.g. left 15mm width required to punch holes, right 10mm, top and bottom 10mm)

2. where documents may be shrinked with margins set a 0mm all around

Donot know how to 'set this as default'.

Secondly, File->Print->Select Printer:Adobe PDF ->Click on Proporties button, right of Adobe PDF,

then click on "Edit" right of Default Settings Re:  Crop PDF pages - under default page size it says:

Papersize is set to 215,9 x 279,4

ISO Standard is 210 × 297

i.e. papersize is 5.9mm wider x 17.6mm higher that the ISO size.

Anyway, does anybody know how to create these custom print profiles ?

Windows 7 x64

Acrobat Pro XI

Printer: HP 3800dn

Thanks

=

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 1:12 AM   in reply to adwul62

adwul62, I don't think you are talking about the same thing as everyone else in this thread. This is about the crop tool in Acrobat.

You are asking something about printing. Not sure though, are you talking about PRINTING TO PDF (with the Adobe PDF printer, which you mention)? Or are you talking about Printing FROM PRINT (print in Acrobat, to your own printer, which you also mention)? Perhaps we can provide clarity. Acrobat has really very little indeed to do with margins (it isn't Word and is less like Word than many people realise), and by focussing on margins you may be going down the wrong path for understanding.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Hello to you,

Sorry, I am not sure how I got here, but likely I used F1 from within Acrobat and did a search on "set margins in acrobat" and more or less took the first hit

-

Adobe Acrobat XI * Crop PDF pages

Choose Tools > Print Production > Set Page Boxes. Under Margin Controls,

select Remove White Margins. To remove ...

-

Anyway, what I want is, for both options, i.e. either print a PDF to printer, or print to PDF (and creating a PDF doc thát way), I'd like to have:

1)  with custom margin, e.g. left 15mm

2) without margins, i.e. set to '0'

3) set either one of them as default.

I've tried to figure this out thru preferences, think there is nothing and then went on to search via Google and F1 help.

Am afraid I donot know how to sort this out.

=

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to adwul62

It is almost always better to start a new question than jump into another, because everyone gets confused. And the original poster, who is now getting emails unrelated to their question, is not helped... Anyway, here we are.

When you're learning Acrobat, you probably need to learn what it does rather than determine it needs to work as you wish; the clash can be frustrating and Acrobat usually wins. Acrobat is a very large program with many options some of which only a few people in the world understand, so learning is most frustrating for people who want to be thorough, unfortunately.

There are no custom margins when you print a PDF. There might be custom margins when you print TO PDF..

Some convenient definitions of things that aren't really margins:

"printer margins". Most printers can't print to the edge of the paper, they have an unprintable area at the edges. Often this space is not the same all round. Often, especially for inkjets there is an unprintable edge at the bottom of 12 mm or more.

"PDF margins". PDFs have no concept of margins, but this is simply used to conveniently talk about the white space at the edge of the PDF (if any).

When you print FROM Acrobat, the following applies:

You can choose page scaling options. Key options are

None - there is no scaling, the PDF is printed at its precise size. If the PDF size and paper size happen to be the same, then the PDF is put directly to fill the paper. If the PDF's margins are larger than the printer margins, all is well. Otherwise one or more edges of the PDF are cut off.

Fit to printable area  - the PDF page is shrunk or enlarged to fit neatly inside the printer margins. You see margins on the printed page which are the combination of the printer margins and scaled PDF margins.

When you print TO PDF, Acrobat offers no margin options. But the application you print FROM might have margin options.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 6:06 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Thank you so much!

You are right, the original poster may be getting unrelated updates.

In case of need, I will create a new thread on this.

Again, many thanks to your elabrate reply.

=

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 7:22 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

When I try this in Acrobat XI, Acrobat crops the page to whatever size I originally drew my crop box to. If I choose Trim from the Margin Control > Apply To pop-up box, Acrobat still crops thae page to whatever size I had crawn the cop box in Acrobat to. How, really how, do I get Acrobat to crop the page to eliminage the crop marks?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points