Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Possible to use "old" validator for DW CS5 in CS6, or persuade the author to update it?

Nov 18, 2012 5:51 PM

Tags: #cs6 #validation

Hello,

The "Validator for Dreamweaver CS5" by Donald Booth is listed here on Adobe Exchange (Classic). This "old" utility is a DW extension, a local validator of --in my experience-- limited capabilities.  (I find it doesn't find all markup problems,  even some fairly simple ones, and it examines only the current file, which may be far from what is ultimately served.)

As far as I can see, DW CS6 supports only one kind of validation, very conveniently invoking the W3C Validator on the current page.  In my view this makes a lot of sense, as that's the standard everybody looks to... right?  

But there are cases in which I think a local validator is still useful.  The originator of this thread has unspecified reasons to want local validation, and another poster on that Adobe Community thread can't find a way to use W3C validation because of password protection.  My  case: I'm looking for quick checks during development of my main work product, hundreds of HTML fragments  (aka headerless code, aka HTML snippets).  The W3C validator doesn't like code with no headers, spewing lots of completely valid error messages that are utterly useless to me.   In my opinion it seems sensible that even simple validation checks along the way is going to save me a lot of trouble when I finally check the finished product with the W3C validator.

So, what about the "old" Validator for Dreamweaver CS5?   It installs without complaint on DW CS6, but there doesn't seem to be any way of invoking it.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

Is there a way to use the "old" local validator on CS6?

Is there any possibility of persuading the author to update it  -- or release the code so someone else can update it?   Anyone know Donald Booth? No, wait, I see here he's left Adobe for world traveling.  (Fantastic! Where do I sign up?)   Any Adobe folks reading this know where the code is? Any chance of getting it updated or released?

TIA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to hen3ry

I remember the decision to link to the W3C validator was taken because updating the internal one would have required a large amount of engineering effort that was better spent on improving other aspects of the program. The problem with the internal validator is that it was inaccurate. It's also now out of date because it was created in the days before HTML5.

It's true that Don left Adobe a couple of years ago, and as far as I know he spent some time in New Zealand sheep shearing (or was it Scotland? - I know he went to both places). I might be able to contact Don and draw his attention to this request. I've no idea whether he'll feel inclined or have the time to update the extension, but I'll certainly try to contact him.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to hen3ry

You can also add this HTML Validator to Firefox and have it check you pages when you Preview In Browser:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/html-validator/?src=sea rch

No internet connection is required once it is added to Firefox and it is updated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to hen3ry

The add-on is up to date.

Mac version here: http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/download_090.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to hen3ry

The thing I like about it is there's no key to press, no command to execute. Every time you open a page in Firefox, it will give you a display of errors, if any, in the bottom right of the browser window. You are essentially validating your code each and every time you PIB with Firefox. To see the error details, you double click the error display and it brings up the code, with line labels that match DW, and highlights any errors with the same "steps to correct" as the W3C validators.

The Mac version, as John points out, is available at the developer's site (about half way down the link I posted).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points