Skip navigation
lohhein
Currently Being Moderated

Windows 8 and elements 11

Nov 18, 2012 3:06 PM

Last week I installed Windows 8, after that Photoshop Elements 11 quits every time after about half an hour. Is it a Windows issue or coincedence?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to lohhein

It should work fine. Does Editor and Organizer both quit?

What are your steps? Or is it like the crash happens always irrespective of the workflow?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to lohhein

I'm seeing the same crash with Elements 11 and Windows 8.  I just get a generic "Adobe Elements 11 has stopped working" message.   It's pretty random.  At first I thought it was when I was viewing photos in Organizer one at a time using the arrow keys, and hit a video item, but it started happening on its own with no user interaction.  It happens even when Catalog Repair shows the catalog doesn't have any issues (though a few times it's crashed and caused issues in the catalog which i've had to repair).  My catalog is stored on a Drobo S drive.

I immediately opened the same catalog on a Win7 machine and it works just fine.  Thus is seems the catalog isn't the issue, but that it's some interaction between Elements 11 and Windows 8.

Are others seeing this?

Galen

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to GalenMurdock

Hi Galen,

Try testing with a new catalog. Hold down the Shift key while launching the Organizer to get the Catalog Manager pre-launch.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to GalenMurdock

Same issues with Win8. I have reverted all my PC's back to Win7, and everything is working fine again...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to lohhein

Similar to your problem, but it crashes during launch, not after a period of use. I posted this at DPReview to see if anyone there has some insights:

I just rebuilt my PC as the machine was suffering random hardware crashes. So I took the opportunity to migrate to Windows 8 (with a format and clean install, not upgrade) and also upgrade a few other bits, e.g Elements from 8 to 11. Most stuff works, but Elements 11 just refuses to start.

Running the Elements launcher does nothing (it fails before anything appears). Running the Editor directly from the Program File folder shows the splash screen, but then Windows shows a dialogue saying the app has stopped working. I've tried compatibility mode and running as admin (it throws a UAC dialogue, which is odd for an app designed to run as a normal user under Windows 8).

The Event Viewer shows the crash coming from the call to ntdll.dll:

PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe
    505d12ab
    ntdll.dll
    505aaa82
    c0000005
    0004f7d5
    f78
    01cdd9e7f71d02bf
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe
    C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    38b995ea-45db-11e2-be75-50465d517d2b

My other software works fine, including Lightroom 4.3 and Reader XI, so it's not a general Adobe or Windows problem.

I've searched around, but there's not much help out there. There were suggestions to delete the contents of the User/AppData/Roaming/Adobe folder, but that didn't help. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't change anything. I even downloaded the trial version from Adobe to see if that was more recent than the DVD, but it seems to be the same version number (from 22nd September 2012) and suffers the same issue.

So, has anyone else got this software to work on Windows 8 Pro? If so, did it "just work", or did you have to do anything?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to AntonyJ1234

Some more experimentation...

It looks like the problem is between Elements 11 and my Wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch. Unplugging the tablet allowed Elements to launch successfully! The organiser still hung importing a large folder, though...

Plugging the pad in after running Elements, and it all sort of works. I say "sort of" as the cursor seems to be quite unstable when using the pad... So is the problem with the Wacom drivers for Windows 8, or Elements integration with the drivers?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 9:40 PM   in reply to lohhein

Please see : http://forums.adobe.com/message/4774258

Seems like third party plugins like Nik and Topaz lead to issues with Organizer and Editor. You might need to disable them to use Organizer and Editor fully.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

And yet in Win7 I can use any plugin I like...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points