Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Capturing from old vhs tapes

Nov 18, 2012 3:07 PM

I want to capture a bunch of old VHS tapes into CS6. I have an analog to digital converter that I'm going to plug a VCR into and a Firewire cable from the converter into my computer.

1.) Can anyone recommend any general settings for making sure I get the highest quality possible?

I'm looking at using the following settings:

Sequence Preset

DV - NTSC

Standard 48kHz

and then going to:

- File > Capture

- Press play on the controller at the bottom of the window

- Press record on the controller at the bottom of the window

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to mediafred

Sounds good.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to mediafred

I have a studio full of them...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to shooternz

Mine is in a box in the closet. That box also contains a standard definition DVD player and an audio cassette deck.

And yes, it is that easy. I used to do it all the time.

You may find some noise along the top and the bottom. Just crop it after you are done editing and you will be fine. Just a few pixels usually.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to mediafred

Yes, with an A-D bridge, like one of the Canopus units, it IS that easy. The biggest "problem" is holding the mouse in one hand, and the VCR's remote in the other, and coordinating the press on the remote, then the click on the mouse, but I always allow a few blank Frames to be Captured, as I can Cut them out.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - While I think that you are way beyond it, here is an article on Analog to Digital: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3748554#3748554

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to mediafred

There are a few ways to take care of this. One is to crop the 2 pixels from the top and the 2 from the bottom from the source when you export. If you do that, you can scale it up a bit to take care of it, or stretch to fit. Either way, it is unlikely to be noticeable since the analog wasn't picture perfect to begin with. Or, you can just leave the black above and below. Hardly noticeable at all - depending on how you display it. If you put it full size on a white web site then it is a problem. Playing it out on a DVD is not problem at all. Nobody sees that far to the edge on most TVs anyway. Although more and more they show the entire picture.

Basically, I suggest that you capture a few seconds of video and play around with it before you get too far into the project. You might not even have the noise.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to mediafred

One thing to be aware of is there is a chance that the audio and video of your captured video might not be in sync.  If this is the case, then you will need to acquire a time base corrector and run the VCR trhough that before it enters your analog-to-digital converter.

J. D.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to jdmack01

VHS is 720 x480 ???

Most of the VHS I have seen have significantly lower resolution.  Early recorders had something in the 130-240 (vs 720) range.  720 x 480 was the DV std.  What am I missing here?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to SFL46

When you capture VHS to DV though it gets scaled.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

Right. After all, while the resolution was low, you still played it on a TV. Right? So recording it to DV AVI just makes sure that everything that was available on the tape makes it to the PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to SFL46

Link to DVD Demystified FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers