Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Disappearing cursor

Nov 18, 2012 4:48 PM

I'm on CS5 and just upgraded to Mountain Lion. This is just a killer bug. Had there been any progress with it? It's only a PHotoshop issue for me, does not appear in any other app.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Would you mind providing details?

Do you work on a two monitor set-up by any chance?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to kevin4545

MacOS 10.8 has problems with disappearing cursors in multiple applications.

Apple is aware of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to kevin4545

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Some of the posts mention setting cursor size to normal (under system preferences>universal access) made a difference. Kevin, is your cursor size set larger than normal?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to kevin4545

No, the cursor size in your OS system preferences. Not running Mountain Lion, but should be something like >System Preferences>Universal Access>Mouse. See if the cursor size is set to normal there. If not, set it to normal and see if there is a difference in cursor behavior in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Christoph wrote:

Would you mind providing details?

kevin4545 wrote:

I'm on 27" imac

K, may I respectfully suggest that you take just a little more time when you ask your questions to provide more detail.  Christoph asked you for more detail about the problem and you gave up just the tiniest bit more info.

I don't know if you imagine everyone anxiously tracking your every move, or that everyone sees exactly what you see in front of them, but the world's just not like that.

In this particular case, "disappearing cursor" triggered a discussion about the problem in general, because it's a well-known problem, but that's not always going to be true.

Wouldn't you agree that it would be better if you'd write up your questions as "I opened a document x by y pixels, z bits per channel, then I moved the mouse to there, then this happened, then I clicked that, then I saw a message that said ...".

I also recommend giving back to the forum by attempting to help others with problems you know how to work through.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Yeah, just checked. In 10.8 cursor size is under Accessibility in System Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I also recommend giving back to the forum by attempting to help others with problems you know how to work through.

-Noel

I'd second that too Noel. Right now score is 897 to zero...

(my goal is to keep my point total higher than my posts.. .we'll see if I can keep that going!)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

I see scrolling and click speed there, nothing about cursor size.

It is in Accessibility but you have to click on the Display Icon in the left hand panel. The cursor size is a slider.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to kevin4545

There is no fix for this available at this time from Apple.

And we have no ETA from Apple.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Plagued by the disappearing cursor in Pshop CS6 on Mountain Lion too.  To get it back I estimate menu bar location and click on the menu bar to bring the cursor back for a while until it happens again.

Hasn't happened in any other apps for me, just photoshop cs6.  Everything has latest updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to benpren

Apple has not released a patch for this bug yet. So we're all just waiting for Apple.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Just installed the OS X 10.8.3 update. It does not seem to fix this.

I had similar problems on a G5 Running Leopard, ATI graphics, 30" Cinema display and Photoshop CS2.

With CS6, a 12 Core MacPro, 10.8.3, the stock AMD (ATI) graphics and the 30" Cinema display, the Disappearing Cursor problems seem worse.

Would an nVidia card perform better?

I don't remember these problems on an older 4 core MacPro and CS6 I used last year. I'll have to go and test that machine. At the time of that project, I was running a Radeon and Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to kevin4545

The disappearing cursor is an OS bug that appears in many applications, sometimes rarely and sometimes annoyingly frequently. So far Apple has not come to grips with this, probably because it doesn't fail in Cupertino. My guess is that in involves an interrupt routine involved with cursor service corrupting a higher level routine that has a critical section of code that should have been immunized against interrupts. This results in very inconsistent operation dependent on timing details that in turn depends on configuration of the system and what is taking place.

I've found that the app store routine "pinpoint" is extremely useful in making the disappearing cursor less painful. Pinpoint puts a rotating halo around the arrow cursor. When the cursor disappears the halo remains around the invisible but present cursor, so you know where it is. You can get it back by clocking on the top bar or rolling over an application icon in the bottom bar. I adjust the halo to be faint, small and orange-brown so it is not annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Norman Rogers

Updated to OS X 10.8.4 last week I honestly do not recall if the cursor disppeared at all last week.  I do not think it did.  But today after updating Pshop CS6 to 13.0.5 my cursor is disappearing far more often.  It has disappeared 3 times within an hour since updating to 13.0.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to benpren

Apple has not been able to reliably reproduce the problem, and thus has not been able to fix it yet.

If you get this problem reliably, please let Apple know -- they really need some help fixing their bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Maybe you should reproduce it for them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

We can't reproduce it reliably, either.

And the fast that people seem to get rid of the error by doing a clean OS install means that there is some odd factor triggering it on some systems and not others.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I've done several clean installs of os 10.8.x so far this year (long story) and the cursor problem persists.

I'll send apple a bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I suppose you could stand behind me while I use PS for five minutes. Easy to reproduce.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

Tom Murray 1 wrote:

I suppose you could stand behind me while I use PS for five minutes. Easy to reproduce.

How long as it been since you sent the steps to reproduce the error to Apple?  What was their resoponse?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Open PS. Use it. I imagine that would get Apple right on this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

Tom Murray 1 wrote:

I see posts in the Mac forums dating back 2 years to 2010.  So no, I don't think Apple is "right on the issue".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to Curt Y

My solution will entail replacing my 2009 MacPro with a new Mac and upgrading to PSCS6 (sorry, will not use CC). Maybe that will fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

If it is the Mac OS the disspaearing cursor will remain until Apple fixes the code.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

The intermittently disappearing mouse pointer in OS X goes back at least to Lion, and it's not limited to Photoshop.

Mostly, I see it under Lion 10.7.5 in some web browsers and even in the Finder.   My desktop Mac Pro 1,1 will not run ML 10.8.x.

But I always manage to get the pointer back, though—either by pressing F10 (mute sound), by blindly maneuvering to the bottom of the screen to the hidden Dock area, or by switching applications through Command+Tab.

Since I've only had this (refurbished, second-hand) machine for less than a week, I've been blaming it on the underpowered stock video card, a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with only 256 MB of VRAM.  I have a modified Apple PowerColor Radeon HD5770 with 1 GB of VRAM arriving this week that has 1 GB.  I'll report back, although with an intermittent problem that can't be reproduced at will it will take a while before I can say this issue is gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

If it is the Mac OS the disspaearing cursor will remain until Apple fixes the code.

Agreed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

Tom Murray 1 wrote:

Curt Y is not a Mac user.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to kevin4545

We have been working with Apple on the issue, but can't tell you anything about it per the Apple NDA.

And Apple's forums have a LOT of complaints of the cursor disappearing in many applications.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points