Skip navigation
dan@kardell.org
Currently Being Moderated

Multiple AVCHD files all named PRIVATE on Mountain Lion - Spanned Clips

Nov 18, 2012 9:58 PM

Tags: #mts #avchd #import #span_clips

How do I import multiple AVCHD files into Premire Pro.  We have a 3 camera shoot that we are getting ready to edit.  Each camera saved to a different SD card.  When I copy the file from the SD card it comes across as the file PRIVATE and Mountain Lion wants to bundle it now as a Quicktime file rather than a folder.

My question is this.  I know that if I rename the file it changes it to a folder and that's fine.  I will need to do this as I have 3 source files I will be bringing into the project (and obviously they are all named PRIVATE on their respective SD cards).

When I rename the files Camera1, Camera2, and Camera3 I do get 3 different folders.  However when I drill down into each one, they have ACVHD file inside them (which if renamed, or right click and show package contents shows yet another file BDMV which performing yet another "Show Package" yields the old foldres I've seen in the past (CLIPINF, INDEX.BDM, MOVIEOBJ.BDM and the folders PLAYLIST and STREAM.  If I go into streamI see the usual 00000.MTS, 000001.MTS and so on.  I know for a fact that I should have 2 clips as we stopped at intermission.  I have 00000.MTS, 00001.MTS, 00002.MTS, 00003.MTS, 00004.MTS and 00005.MTS.  00000 - 00002 appear to be the first half and 00003 - 00005 appear to be the 2nd half.  I guess this is spanned files.  What do I click on to actully make a timeline 00000.MTS for the first half and 00003 for the second half (becuase the system will link 00000, 00001, and 00002 together?

Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to dan@kardell.org

dan@kardell.org wrote:

How do I import multiple AVCHD files into Premire Pro.  We have a 3 camera shoot that we are getting ready to edit.  Each camera saved to a different SD card.  When I copy the file from the SD card it comes across as the file PRIVATE and Mountain Lion wants to bundle it now as a Quicktime file rather than a folder.

This is what I do:

1. Create a new directory (folder) for the project I'm working on.
    2. Inside that directory, I create another one called RAW
    3. Under RAW, I create 2 more directories called Camera_1 and Camera_2
    4. The entire contents of the SD card from the first camera gets copied to Camera_1
    5. Likewise for the contents of the second camera's SD card
    6. In PPro, I navigate into the Camera_1 and Camera_2 subdirectories, looking for the AVCHD directories.  Once opened, they show me the spanned clips as assembled clips.

Does that make sense?  You don't need to follow the same directory structure I do, if you don't want to.  But the important bit is to make sure the entire SD card gets copied over to its OWN directory on your Mac.  PPro will handle the rest once you've navigated into that directory with the media browser.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Thanks Jason for the reply.  I tried that and this is what I got.

Created Camera1, Camera2 and Camera3 folders from Finder.

Copied the PRIVATE file from each of the SD cards into their respective folders.

Opened PP and created a new project - Test.  Selected cancel for initial sequence.

Then double clicked in the open area of Test.prproj and got the IMPORT dialog. Navigated to the Camera1 folder and double clicked on PRIVATE and got AVCHD.  Double clicked on AVCHD and got AVCHDTN folder and BDMV. Double click on BDMV and get index.bdm and MOVIEOBJ.BDM (grayed and not selectable),  and the FOLDERS STREAM, CLIPINF and PLAYLIST.  Going into STREAM gets back to the issue I was at before showing me files 00000.MTS - 00005.MTS (spanned clips).

I tried stopping at the PRIVATE, then tried again with the AVCHD file and then again with the BDMV file.  Same thing.

Oh I also get the following dialog

Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 4.07.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 4.10.40 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to dkardell

Don't double click on the open area to get the IMPORT dialog, go through the Media Browser to find the Camera1 folder you've created. Then, don't drill down into underlying folders, just right click on the Camera1 folder and hit import. Premiere will then find and connect up any spanned clips within the subfolders.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to SimonHy

don't drill down into underlying folders, just right click on the Camera1 folder and hit import.

That throws up the same error message Dan is seeing. The normal procedure is to drill down until you see the clips appear.  PP will properly show and import spanned clips.

However, it may well not play them correctly.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/audio-video-glitches-avchd.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yes, it bring up that error message, because it runs through all the un-necessary files within the folders and lets you know it can't import them, but then you just click okay and get on with your day.

I find the "import the whole folder" method better because it simplifies the process; there's no routing around in subfolders, it connects up spanned clips and puts all the clips into a bin that's named whatever you named the folder you're importing, which is exactly what I want it to do. Nice and easy. Just my preference though.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

That did it !!!! I opened Media Browser, then double clicked the folder and selected the PRIVATE file.  It then showed Act 1 and Act 2 Clips.  I selected the clip and IMPORTED.  Perfect!  Thanks all!

Dan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points