Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Drawing eyes with perspective

Nov 19, 2012 8:36 AM

I would like to draw eyes with the same perspective as the ones in the attached image. What is the easiest way to do this? Is there an easy way to do this with starting with the eliptical tool?

Thanks.ren.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to StanWelks

Yes and no.  Like it or not, you're going to have to manually draw the image or use one of Illustrator's automated drawing tools.  If you use the Ellipse" tool, well you will get an ellipse which is a much more simplified way of attempting to get the perspective.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to StanWelks

Start with something like Live Trace, then go in and work the individual paths.  Or, just start with something like the Pencil tool, Pen tool working on sections at a time.  I'm not sure if we're talking about the entire illustration or just the eyes.  Just get the appropriate permissions from the originator ( i.e., work without violating copyright laws ).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to StanWelks

If you want to use the Ellipse tool you can do something like this:

Picture 1.png

I started off with a circle for the eyeball, then used the Scale tool with option-drag 3 times, first for the iris, then again for the pupil and lastly for the highlight. Shaded the stuff afterwards of course. Took less than a minute.

Not as cartoony as you want? Then draw it by hand and use Live Trace.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Ooooh-la-la!  That looks smashing, Steve!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to StanWelks

You could also do this with the 3D effect if you had to do several eyes looking in more than one direction

Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 11.26.41 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 8:45 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

You could map some veins as well.

Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 11.44.51 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to StanWelks

So just to be clear, you used option drag 3 times to make copies and then you just scaled the shapes?

No, that’s not quite what I meant.

Hit L to get the Ellipse tool and start off by drawing the circle (drag with Shift held down). Keep it selected.

Hit S to select the Scale tool, click to define the origin point (where the circle should scale from).

Then (still with the Scale tool) option drag. This gives you a scaled copy.

Wade’s method with mapping on a 3D sphere is quite good too, except that you won’t be able to control the "bulge" of the iris and pupil in quite the same way.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

You could if you relly put your mind to it but though it might have advantages it might also present some problems one being the look

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 10.54.23 AM.png

Also the opening in the iris does not actually have bulge the cornea actually has the bulge and to some degree the iris itseld but not the opening in the iris.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Actually that is not a good way of making the bulge you have to do it manually by adding a 2D  ellipse with a transparent gradient

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 11.14.46 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

the iris does not actually have bulge the cornea actually has the bulge

You know, I know, but all sorts of strange things can happen when you start cartooning.

Mine was hardly a medical diagram :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to StanWelks

Break out a pen and paper and draw it, scan it, trace it. Done

Ren and Stimpy was probably not digital at the creation stage. And if it was, I'd bet there were no shape tools used in the creation and far more of a brush or freehand pen work.

Truth is you can't "draw" well if you're thinking in terms of the ellipse tool, the rectangle tool, pathfinder, etc. You need to set up a brush and use that to draw just like you would on paper. Just my 2¢

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points